Best For Great Price: Jayron Tachometer For Small Engine
|1||Runleader Digital Hour Meter Tachometer,...||$11.39|
|2||Searon Small Engine Tachometer Hour...||$23.99|
|3||Runleader Small Engine Hour Meter,...||$13.99|
|4||Tachometer for Small Engine,Inductive...||$13.49|
|5||Searon Digital Chainsaw Tachometer...||$35.99|
Best For Boat: Timorn Tachometer For Small Engine
What to Consider for small engine hour meter
An hour meter functions to monitor the running time of your engine. In fact, in some cases, it is also equipped with the capability to trace the engine RPM (tachometer). Therefore, some say it a tach-hour meter. Because there are two functions in a single tool: tachometer and hour meter. There are many benefits you can gain from monitoring your engine working hours.
You can set your vehicles’ oil change interval, maintenance, service, etc. Some machines will work better with regular maintenance. Also, there is a typical machine that will last longer if threaded with regular service. It is a very simple tool. You just need to stick it on near the engine.
For a stronger grip, you could either tie or screw it. In the next step, you have to wrap around the hour meter’s wire to the spark plug. If the engine turns on, the hour meter will start off to counting. Vice versa, the engine stops, it stops counting. There is also an hour meter that works based on the vibration. The vibration models require no cable wrapping.
8. Yamaha ENG-METER-4C-01 Hour/Tach Deluxe Engine Meter
- An hour meter is a nice investment. It can save your engine while it costs only about $10. If you are looking for the best hour meter, there are plenty of choices but you could start from our selection below.
- The DiscoGoods Waterproof Digital LCD is the best hour meter because its use spreads over many things. You could use for dirt bike, boat, generator, lawn tractor, etc.
- The installation process is easy to manage, you just need to peel off the sticking tape and stick it to the vehicle.
- It requires no wiring with enclosed hardware, no additional battery needed, simply connects with spark plug wire.
- It works with any gas engine. Fortunately, it comes with a standby time of up to 20,000 hours. Like the DiscoGoods above, this inductive hour meter comes with an easy installation process.
It has a peel-off sticking tape and thus easily sticks to any vehicle. There are no attachments needed with enclosed hardware and requires no external power source, which simply connects with the spark plug. This small meter holds the capability to record and display to 9,999.9 hours and has a standby time up to 20,000 hours.
This hour meter was crafted for non-engine applications. Unlike the above, you are not required to install the wire to the spark plug. It automatically turns on/off recording through sensing vibration from the device in use. This wireless hour meter does not need any additional power source; there is a waterproof lifetime battery pre-installed.
This can be easily installed as it has stick-on tape on its back for easy access. Although basically universal, this one is also suitable for a non-engine application. It utilizes the vibration to start off. So, you don’t need to connect the wire to the spark plug or to another part.
Simply no wire involved, just stick at the place you want. It works by counting the elapsed time, not the rpm. It works by built-in battery power that can last up to 10 years. You can set it and let it without worrying the power shuts off. There are two functions you can get from this tool: hour meter and tachometer.
1. DiscoGoods Hour Meter for Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, Boat, etc [Best Overall]
- This hour meter for lawn mower comes with a software program. Among the other hour meters, this model lets you program the maintenance reminder (for an oil change, etc). The warning will flash as a reminder.
- Aside from that, it is capable of keeping track of engine RPM and running time for most 2/4 stroke engines. This tach meter is powered by a CR2450 lithium replaceable battery.
- That means there is no external power connection needed. The battery change is possible to do in case the battery is out.
- This Hardline HR-8061-2 is another nice hour meter to pick that is accessed easily with any gas engine up to two cylinders and 16,000 RPM.
- It is easily adjustable and can be used for all types of ignitions including fuel injected engines.
Best For Permanent Installation: Jayron Tachometer For Small Engine
It comes in handy with a maintenance program for motorcycles, ATV, power watercraft, or boats. This is used to keep track of your total time on machines and is easily maintained with planned scheduled maintenance routines. Do you want to make sure that the time and rpm are counted together to get a richer measurement? Plus it is also modern-look?
Then this stylish hour tach meter suits you. The design which is stylish will add a modern value to your dirt bike and can be used for other engines as well. This Trail Tech digital hour meter is one of our choices because of its look and works with all gasoline engines. In addition, you are able to set custom maintenance reminders with.
3. Hardline HR-8065 Vibration Hour Meter for Non-Engine Application
- It comes with a big readable display head that makes it easier to read the engine’s running hours up to 99,999 hours to further ensure if you are properly maintaining your engine.
- There is an LCD display that allows an accessible view of all gauge readings irrespective of lighting conditions.
- The BlueRice 52MM 2” is the durable hour meter as it is a 316L stainless steel that is used for longer periods of time, even in acid-base and humid environments.
- It is IP67 waterproof and dustproof resistant. The BlueRice 52MM 2” consumes less power, holds longer life and has high precision.
- With its ultra-wide working voltage design, it is able to operate for longer periods and has a standard red backlight.
- The Searon DC is the hour meter that deserves to share due to its specific design based on industrial timing and supplying data in the context under maintenance of duration for precision equipment.
Top 10 Best Small Engine Hour Meter
This unit comes in handy to track engine hours and therefore you could monitor service intervals. It has an operating range from 6 to 80 Volts DC input. Some of its common applications are those of boats, automobiles, motorcycles, ATV, UTV, go-karts. This Searon hour meter works on DC powered system. You need to connect it to a DC source ranging from 6-80 Volt.
So, it seems you will handle some wiring. How to know it’s a DC-powered system? If the engine uses battery power, then it’s DC powered. Therefore, it’s ideal to use on a boat, lawnmower, lawn tractor, etc. We choose the AIMILAR due to its appropriateness for basic industrial engine maintenance. It comes in handy in most of the engineering machinery, construction vehicles, farm machinery, generators, kilns, pumps, etc.
8. Searon DC 12v 24v 36v 48V 60V 72V Electromechanical Hour Meter
- The timer itself consists of 6 digit display with the least one being at 1/10 hour (99999.9) and functions at an input voltage of 100-250V.
- This is one of our favorites because of its time precision reliability and steady performance.
- The mechanical reading is also an extra value in which it will stay displaying the last reading despite the power gets down.
- The SEARON is one of the best digital hour meters due to its wide voltage range; AC/DC 5-277 Volts.
- It accumulates non-resetting total engine running time, and record 2 resettable job time; TMR 1 and TMR 2.
Best With Hourmeter: Totmox Tachometer For Small Engine
It comes with a 2-year warranty and is waterproof. However, this cannot be mounted directly on the dash or in an inconspicuous space. As the name suggests, an hour meter counts the elapsed time of an engine has passed. Right the machine turns on, the hour meter starts off.
Simply, you need to connect the wire to the spark plug by wrapping it around several times. There is also a type of hour meter that works based on the vibration. This is the model you need to install onto your electronic devices (non-engine devices). As long as it emits vibration, the tool will work. Some of the hour meters come with battery-powered.
10. Runleader Digital Tach Hour Meter,Engine Temperature Gauge,Alert RPM & Temp,Backlights Display for Lawn Tractor Compressor Generator Snowmobile Ma
- In this model, you can simply connect the wire to the spark plug and stick the hour meter at the place you are okay with as long as the wire is long enough to support.
- However, it’s recommended that you attach it not far from the engine. On the other hand, several hour meters need external power to work off.
- It’s not a battery-powered model. You need DC or AC power in that case. Some of them work with limited AC/DC power range.
- It’s not weird if you find the one that works with both AC and DC power. This AC powered model is suitable for the generator such as the Honda generator, compressors, electric motors, etc.
How Does An Hour Meter Work?
While the DC-powered type is great to work for battery-operated things such as RTV, boat, lawn mover, lawn tracker, trucks, tractors, and even airplanes. Aside from the power source, you need to know the look.
Some models are digital, while the others are electromechanical. The electromechanical uses mechanical reading but still needs electric power. They may have different advantages. What we like from the electromechanical type is the reading will stay on there even though the power is off. Before deciding to purchase an hour meter for your need, it’s necessary that you need to take time for some reading.
If you don’t have so much time to make some researches, then you are recommended to take the DiscoGoods above. It works for most purposes except for non-engine devices. You need that works based on vibration for that case. If you have read further, you can select the ones that work best on DC or AC power.
9. AIMILAR Mechanical Hour Meter AC 110-250V (AC 110V 120V 220V 230V)
- Finally, an hour meter is actually a nice tool to help you manage maintenance intervals so that you can save money from any damage to your valuable engines.
- What are the best small engine hour meter in the market? Yes, they are tons and that often makes people confused.
- But based on real verified user’s feedback and reviews and best selling list of different marketplaces we have listed here top 10 small engine hour meter we listed and compiled reviews from verified purchase owners.
- So, if you like to have one small engine hour meter hope the following feedback from real users will help you a lot.
- Note that we compiled here only five star ratings and reviews. Best small engine hour meter Comparison Table.
Best For Single Run Time: Foundown Tachometer For Small Engine
Magicalmai Inductive Hour Meter for Gas Engine Generator Lawn Mower Pressure Washer Marine ATV Boat Outboard Motor Dirt Bike Motorcycle Waterproof Hr Meters - Black. NKTECH NK-HS2 Inductive Hour Meter for Gas Engine Lawn Mover Marine ATV Motorcycle Boat Snowmobile Dirt Bike Outboard Motor Generator Waterproof Hourmeter (Black).
Runleader Small Engine Hour Meter, Digital Tachometer, Maintenance Reminder, Battery Replaceable, User Shutdown , Use for ZTR Lawn Mower Tractor Generator Marine Outboard ATV (HM011F). Package included: you will be provided with 2 pieces inductive hour meters with 2 pieces wires and 4 pieces screws, enough quantity to satisfy your daily use requirements, and the sensible accessories of wires and screws will make your usage and installation more convenient.
Scope of application: the digital engine meter is widely applied for many mechanical equipments, like generators, vibrators, shredders, lawn mowers, motorcycles, automobiles, trucks, engineering vehicles and more, help you keep track of how much time you spend on your engine.
5. Hardline HR-8061-2 Hour Meter for up to 2-Cylinder Engines
- Waterproof material: the inductive hour meter is made of ABS material with epoxy encapsulated casing, waterproof, resistant to shock, and can withstand temperatures of 85 degrees Celsius, durable and sturdy, can serve you for a long time.
- Easy to install: you could connect the small hour tachometer and spark plug to the wire, then secure the meter with screws or zips; No batteries needed, you just need to connect the spark plug to the wire, an easy way for you to install.
- Detailed parameter: the engine hour meter is designed with an LCD display, which can record to 9999.9 hours, the maximum speed range is 99999 RPM, and the standby time is over 20000 hours, and the screen of meter will flash to indicate the counting time.
- Reviews from Real Users. I purchased 2 of these Inductive Hour Meters for my Champion 2500 Watt Inverter Generators ( Model # 200951 ).
Best For Simple Small Engine: Foundown Tachometer Hour Meter
Seems to be a quality product. They came with small screws to mount to the generators but I decided to use Scotch Fasteners instead. I had to drill a small hole in the Spark Plug Access Cover to run the wire up from the Spark Plug Wire.
I was sure to leave a little slack in the wire so I could remove the cover without issue. Just be sure the wire attached to the Spark Plug Wire is not touching anything hot before securing it with zip/cable ties ( not supplied ).
I've been looking for an run hour meter for quite some time that did not connect to the spark plug tip like others in the past. This is an inductive pickup which is super easy to install. It comes with a lengthy piece of wire that is used to loop around the spark plug wire near the connection point to the spark plug.
Then you run the wire through a little slot bar on the Hour Meter. That's pretty much it! I used double backed heavy duty tape to connect the Hour Meter since I don't want to drill holes in my Wood Chipper or Snow Blower.
7. Runleader Digital Hour Meter Tachometer, Maintenance Reminder, User Shutdown , Use for ZTR Lawn Mower Tractor Generator Marine Outboard ATV Motor S
- I used one on an Ariens Pro Snow Thrower and the other on a DK2 Wood Chipper. I also connected the magnetic pickup wire using double backed tape.
- Looks pretty good! Once installed you should start the motor and let it run about ten minutes or so to ensure the Hour Meter is working.
- The Hour Meter is in 0.1 Hour increments so it takes a few minutes to register the first 0.1 time interval.
- It definitely is waterproof. I ran my Snow Thrower for a few hours these past few months and the Hour Meter was covered in snow.
- It works perfectly. So if you need something to monitor the run hours on an engine this will do the trick.
I needed it so I know when to change the oil in my small motors. This makes three total of they all work properly I think the internal battery is rated for about ten years and it's not replaceable so one day it will stop working. But for the price it's well worth it. The third hour meter I installed on a 15 KW home power generator.
Highly recommend this product! Have put these on some dirt bikes, all my mini bikes, a couple go karts, and about 20 different generators… I have never had one quit working for any reason.
my one generator stays outside, rain, sleet, snow. has about 7500 hours on it over 6 years and hour meter still works even after staying in the elements for 6 years straight. NK-HS2 Inductive Hour Meter for Marine, ATV, Motorcycle, Boat, Dirt Ski Track the Service Life of Your Vehicle-Oil Changes, Valve, Adjustments, Spark Plugs, etc.
Records and Displays to 9,999.9 Hours. Stand-by Time up to over 20,000 hours. Hour Glass Symbol Appears and Flashes on/off to Indicate Counting Time. Automatic Roll Over Resolution 0.1 Hour. 100% epoxy encapsulated casing resists water, shock, stand fire of 85℃.
4. Runleader Small Engine Hour Meter, Digital Tachometer, Maintenance Reminder, Battery Replaceable, User Shutdown , Use for ZTR Lawn Mower Tractor Ge
- Easy Installation-peel & stick, no wiring necessary, or attach with enclosed hardware.
- No Battery Required-connects to spark plug wire. Works on Any Gas Engine.
- Reviews from Real Users. I've been frustrated for years with small engine maintenance scheduling.
- Sure, you can pull out air filters and check them, change oil on lawn mowers every season, etc.
- but some equipment gets a lot more use than others, and when the number of small engines goes over 5, which is easy to do as a homeowner with a bit of land, you really need to keep track of what's being done when.
- I put one of these on every engine in my array of machines, and I tag them with physical cardboard tags every time I do maintenance.
Top 10 Best Hour Meter Reviews 2022
So now instead of 'When was the last time that was done?' I just read the tag - "Oil changed at 25 hours." Next tag, "Oil changed at 50 hours." These make life a breeze and as an important note they DO NOT require batteries. They use the energy from the spark plug wire to operate and theoretically should last the life of the engine.
And if you tag your machines properly, even if one dies you ahve all the records and just toss another one on. 10/10, would recommend. Simple to install. Zip tie was not included but I used one I had on hand to secure about 5 wraps on the spark plug wire.
I zip-tied the indicator unit to a hydraulic hose on the commercial mower for a simple attachment.I plan to use more of these devices on other machines, but may order from China to save, just takes a while to get here.
6. Runleader Digital LCD Waterproof Hour Meter for Small Engine,Track Oil Change Intervals, Generator,Lawn Mower,Outboard,ATV,Snow blowers,Marine,Dirt
- If and when the battery dies, I'll just record that time in the machine records and start over with a new one so I have a record of total run time.This appears to be a good product, and for my machines, it's a no-brainer.
- This little inexpensive device is so very helpful. With my new gas generator there are time frames for service needs.
- This makes it so simple. I have 2 other generators and have no idea the hours they have seen and have missed service needs because of that.
- This wil make it very easy to follow and service in a timely manner.
Best For High Quality: General Technologies Corp Tachometer For Small Engine
Comes with the gauge, 2 screws for mounting, 2 cable ties and a strip of wire for sampling the RPM at the spark plug. Installation was simple. Just access the spark plug lead, wrap the wire around it 5 times.
Secure the lead with supplied tie wraps. Slip the wire through the underside slot on the gauge. Mount the gauge. Instead of screwing it in place I chose to use double sided tape to secure it.
The readout stays active at all times, even when shut down. So at a glance you can see the time run with no need to start the generator. It will show an hoursglass figure that flashes when it is reading an RPM signal.
- This starts the timer and keeps the time on the screen.
- So glad that I picked this one up. Package contains: you will be provided with 4 pieces inductive hour meters with 4 pieces wires and 8 pieces screws, enough quantity to satisfy your daily use requirements, and the sensible accessories of wires and screws will make your usage and installation more convenient.
- Wide range of application: the digital engine meter is widely applied for many mechanical equipment, like generators, vibrators, shredders, lawn mowers, motorcycles, automobiles, trucks, engineering vehicles and more, helping you keep track of how much time you spend on your engine.
- Quality material: the automatically shutdown tachometer is made of ABS material with epoxy encapsulated casing, waterproof and resistant to shock, and can withstand temperatures of 85 degrees Celsius, durable and sturdy, can serve you for a long time.
- Simple installation: you could connect the small hour tachometer and spark plug to the wire, then secure the meter with screws or zips; No battery needed, you just need to connect the plug to the wire, an easy way for you to operate.
- Parameter information: the engine hour meter is designed with an LCD display, which can record to 9999.9 hours, the maximum speed range is 99999 RPM, and the standby time is over 20000 hours, and the screen of meter will flash to indicate the counting time.
Reviews from Real Users. I used 91% alcohol to clean the housings, velcro tape to attach to my Echo trimmer, Echo edger, and Honda HRX mower. I'm ordering more for my other equipment. The only minus is the display is rather small.
Others I looked at were similar, though. So they fulfill the purpose for which I got them, and I found another use: tracks the amount of time i used each on a specific job. Great hour meters, this is my 2nd set of 4. I use on all of my equipment that has a spark plug to determine when to chain the oil.
Pressure washers, lawn mowers, and stump grinder. HOUR METER—-Contains tachometer, hour meter, service timers ;When engine is off, display shows total run time of engine and remains visible.
Total hours can reset ; 0.1 hours accuracy. MAINTENANCE REMINDER—-Programmable maintenance interval service timer(SVC),Countdown tracking service reminder time; When the maintenance time arrives, the service warning icon flashes to remind.
- TACHOMETER—-Accurately records your RPMs when the engine is running , Help adjust engine idle;Can be programmed for different engine firing patterns. BATTERY REPLACEABLE—- Internal replaceable CR2450 battery , Data retained after battery change; Operation button can be turned off , Data retained after shutdown.
- OTHER —-Easy to install; Contains detailed instructions for use; Waterproof rating: IP65; Patent, CE ROHS certification;2-year warranty.
- Reviews from Real Users. I got three of these cool devices.
- Will be installed on a Honda engine on a lawn mower, Troy-Bilt rear engine TB30 riding mower, and one of my generators.
- I need to buy another one.These are great since they have replaceable batteries.
- And they show RPM.You should not really get this one wet if possible. It is waterproof, but not as waterproof as the sealed devices. There is a tiny o-ring gasket in the battery compartment.
- Be careful it does not fall out.When inserting the battery, there are two prongs, push the battery against them.
- They will hold it if it is inserted properly.This is the best price for these. Don't pay more!I am going to use EverReady Energizers instead of the included generic 2450 batteries.
You can save battery power by holding the M and the S buttons until the displays says off. Then the display turns off and data is saved. The display will turn on when automatically when the engine is started.Here are some pics.
I will update this review and add other pics later. This unit cost about half of what similar units were going for, so I didn't expect much.