CD and DVD writers are a thing of the past. You are not likely to find them in modern-day laptops. If your goal is to create a bootable medium, then creating a bootable USB drive from an ISO file remains your best option.
How to Burn an ISO to USB With the Rufus Tool
There are quite a number of tools that can help you create a bootable USB drive. Some will even go further and let you create a multi-boot USB drive where you get to choose the OS that you want to install. Here are some of the widely-used utilities for creating a bootable USB drive from an ISO file in Linux desktop systems.
We start off our list with Rufus which is arguably one of the most popular bootable USB creation utilities. It’s a free tool that you can download and create bootable USB pen drives, memory sticks, etc.
It is particularly helpful when you want to create a USB installation medium from an ISO image or work on a system with no OS installed.
Extract ISO Images With a File Compression Program
Rufus is a portable utility that comes with a small footprint – 1.3MB only. No installation is required. You just need to double-click on the executable file to launch the UI and start creating your USB bootable medium from an ISO image of your choice (both Windows and Linux).
- Unfortunately, Rufus is only supported on Windows and the developer has not yet ported it to Linux as yet. If you are looking for an alternative that works on Linux, read on.
- UNetbootin is a free and cross-platform utility for creating live bootable USB drives using an ISO image from all the major Linux distributions, even the lesser-known ones such as Tails, and AntiX.
- It doesn’t employ distribution-specific rules for creating bootable USB drives, and therefore, most of the Linux ISO images should load without a problem. Apart from creating a Live bootable medium, you get other system repair tools and utilities for example:.
- Smart Boot Manager. Dr.Web AntivirusF-Secure Rescue CD. Super Grub Disk. Developed & Maintained by the Balena team, Balena Etcher is a free and open source for writing image files such as .img and .iso onto USB drives and creating Live bootable pen drives and SD cards.
- Etcher is a cross-platform tool and is available for download on Windows, macOS, and Linux (both 32-bit and 64-bit). It provides a very elegant yet simple UI that provides a smooth experience while writing your images files.
- Ventoy is yet another utility that lets you not only create an ordinary USB bootable medium but also allows you to create a multiboot USB drive with several OS options. In fact, Ventoy takes away the need to format your USB drive over and over again.
- Simply copy the ISO file to your Pendrive drive and boot it. You can copy multiple ISO files concurrently and Ventoy will provide a boot menu to select your preferred image to boot from. Ventoy supports over 420 ISO files.
Support for both Legacy and UEFI BIOS modes. Support for ISO images larger than 4GB.
MBR and GPT partition style supported (1.0.15+). USB drive write-protected support.
Suggestion: Back up Windows & Restore System
You can directly boot from ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI files. No extraction is required. Check out Ventoy’s additional features.
Abbreviated as UUI, Universal USB Installer is a Live Linux Bootable USB Creator Software that allows you to easily create a bootable USB from your favorite Linux distribution or Windows installer. Find a list of all the supported ISO files. In addition to that, you also get additional tools such as USB Boot Rescue tools such as Comodo and BitDefender Rescue CD and bootable software such as Hirens Boot CD.
Yumi – short for ‘Your Universal Multiboot Installer’ – is another tool that you can leverage to create a multiboot USB drive.
It’s the predecessor of the Universal USB installer and allows you to create a Multiboot USB Flash Drive containing multiple ISO files on the fly and start using it to boot your preferred Live Linux OS.
Way 2: Create Windows 10 Bootable USB from ISO via Rufus
Key features of Yumi USB creator include:.
An option to reformat your USB drive. Support for both Legacy and UEFI BIOS modes. Affinity for Ubuntu derived Distributions.
Download links to make it easy to get the related ISO files. A website link to help you learn more about the YUMI. A feature to remove installed items on the USB drive to facilitate cleanup. PowerISO is a robust and fully-featured application for burning CDs/DVDs. In addition, It allows you to extract, burn, create, encrypt, compress and convert ISO images and mount them on an external drive.
It provides an all-in-one solution allowing you to do whatever you want with your files.
At a glance, PowerISO allows you to:. Create a bootable USB drive from an ISO image.
Way 3: Create Windows 10 Bootable USB from ISO with iSunshare WinToGo Genius
Create bootable ISO files and create bootable CDs and DVDs. Open and extract ISO files with a single click.
Rip multimedia files including audio files such as MP3, WMA FLAC. Burn audio files from MP3, WMA FLAC to CDs / DVDs. Ability to edit ISO files directly. Create ISO or BIN files from CDs / DVDs. GNOME Multi-writer is a utility used to write an ISO file to multiple USB devices at a go.
It supports USB drives of up to 32GB in size. It was originally written as part of the ColorHug project, but later on, shifted direction and became an independent application in 2015.
MultiBootUSB is a free and open-source cross-platform tool that also allows users to install multiple Live Linux distributions on a USB drive and boot from it.
Use the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool
It provides a simple and user-friendly UI that enhances the seamless creation of the bootable USB drive.
Key features include:. Automatic detection of ISO files. Works on both USB and external hard drives. Preservation of files on the USB drive without deletion. Installed images can be uninstalled without affecting other files in the drive. Ability to install multiple distributions at a time on the command line.
The list of supported distributions is constantly updating. Last on the list is the ImageUSB Writer. Just like GNOME multi-writer and multi-boot USB, this is a free utility that allows you to write an ISO file concurrently to several USB devices.
It also supports direct imaging between the devices.
How to Create Bootable USB from ISO Windows 10/11
ImageUSB writer is also a perfect tool for mass duplication of USB flash drives. The application is also capable of reformatting a USB device, as well as MBR and GPT entries for wider disk space.
That was a roundup of some of the utilities that you can leverage to create a bootable USB drive from an ISO image in Linux. We have compiled tools that work on both Linux and Windows in case you are working on either system.
That is all for now. Your feedback is highly welcome. Languages: EnglishFrançaisEspañolPortuguêsDeutsch日本語.
In order to install the Windows operating system or fix a broken Windows, a bootable USB flash drive is needed.
How to create bootable USB from ISO Windows 10/11?
Boot From the USB Drive
A Windows 10/11 USB tool or USB bootable software will be introduced.
Besides, the best way to protect the PC against system issues is also told to you. As to Windows 10/11 OS, it has got more popularity due to its advantages, for example, reliability, better user experience, safety, etc. Therefore, most of you may have reserved a copy of the Windows 10/11 upgrade for your computers.
But there may be some who may want to go for a clean install by using a Windows ISO image.
Besides, when there is something wrong with the operating system, you may also choose to reinstall Windows.
Or, when getting a new PC without OS, you need to make a clean install. Additionally, to boot the non-working PC and perform a repair, you also need a Windows repair disc or USB drive. To install the operating system or to create a rescue disc, it is a choice to burn the operating system into a CD or DVD disc.
Though it is nothing hard, the method is clunky, expensive and no-so user-friendly when considering the CD/DVD writer and the cost of an actual CD/DVD disc.
It’s Necessary to Create Bootable USB from ISO Windows 10/11
Thankfully, you can use a USB flash drive. Tip: Sometimes your USB flash drive cannot be detected by Windows after connecting it to your computer. If so, refer to this article - Fix USB Flash Drive Not Recognized & Recover Data – How To Do to get the solutions.
- In this post, we will show you how to download the ISO image, burn ISO to USB and create USB boot disk from ISO for Windows 10/11 installation.
- When searching for “make bootable USB” on Google, you will find many ways. And here, we will show you 2 common ways for Windows bootable USB creation.
- Microsoft offers you a utility called Media Creation Tool, allowing you to download a Windows 10 ISO file compatible with your PC or directly create a bootable USB drive so as to install Windows 10.
- This is the easiest and reliable method. Just follow the step-by-step guide to make bootable USB from ISO.
- Step 1: Go to Windows 10 download page and click Download tool now to get MediaCreationTool.exe. To create bootable usb from iso Windows 11, go to this page and click Download Now from Create Windows 11 Installation Media.
- Step 2: This is an independent executable file that doesn't need installation, so you can simply run the tool and create bootable USB from ISO.
Just double-click on the .exe file and then accept the terms.
Way 1: Create Windows 10 Bootable USB from ISO File using Windows Built-in Function
Step 3: Then, choose the Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file) for another PC option and click the Next button to continue. Step 4: Then this tool will capture the language, Windows edition and architecture details from your Windows installation. Also, you can uncheck the option Use the recommendation for this PC and re-specify these details.
Here you can directly choose the former option and make bootable USB from ISO.