Cladding is the key to keeping your property protected from the elements. It also plays a leading role in the look and feel of your home. Exterior wall cladding ideas range from the classic to the contemporary; the style you select can be the difference between dull and dashing.
Choose wisely and you’ll boost the kerb appeal of your property while increasing the value through improved insulation.
With the right cladding in place, you can rest assured your home is resistant to whatever weather the seasons may throw your way. Whether you’re planning a new build or exploring options to give your property a face-lift, there’s a lot to consider when browsing the market for cladding.
How your property looks from the outside is not a decision that should be rushed.
- The type of exterior wall cladding you settle on will determine the aesthetic of your home, so think carefully.
- While older properties benefit from brick cladding to maintain a traditional feel, modern homes suit the sharp edges and stylish finish that metal cladding creates.
- With a selection of materials to choose from that differ in durability, it’s worth getting clued up on the benefits and differences to inform your decision.
Other key factors worth considering are how much maintenance you are willing to take on and how much budget you have earmarked for the project.
The main types of cladding used in modern architecture include:. Fibre cement cladding. We know how critical a part cladding plays in keeping your home looking and performing its best.
- Before you call in a professional, we recommend making time for research and inspiration.
- Below, we’ve picked out and pulled together some of our favourite exterior wall cladding ideas to steer you in the right direction.
- Like what you see? We have plenty more where this came from.
- Check out Checkatrade’s blog for more home inspiration, how-to’s and project ideas.
Advantages of using Cladding Systems
Exterior wall cladding has transformed into something both functional and unique. In the past, bricks were known as the gold standard for cladding. Nowadays, though, architects have come up with ways to make the color palette, materials, and other visual elements more versatile.
Exterior cladding can be made from a variety of different materials, but you also need to know which ones are the best choices.
Here is a list of the ten outstanding exterior wall cladding ideas for your home. Source: thespruce.com. Why change something that works? If you feel like you want something that speaks to every person, then bricks are the foolproof way to go.
- If you want to play around with the visual identity, you can ask your cladding contractors to use bricks of different colors.
- Wear and tear is also less visible on bricks, due to their composition.
- Think ceramics are fragile?
You might have an outdated concept of the material then. Ceramics have long been used for home decor, although their usage has been confined to vases and jars in recent times.
If you are open to an artistic finish, then ceramic cladding systems are an excellent way to add visual elements to your home. They can also be used to create rain screens.
- Wood timbers have become a very popular material for cladding. There is a good reason for this, as the material is both more sustainable and cheaper than other options.
- You can also be adventurous with styling, mixing, and matching the type of wood based on personal preferences. Just make sure to select a species that withstands harsh substances and weather conditions.
- Some break down easily due to their inability to last against chemicals. Source: stackpathcdn.com. Concrete cladding is another popular material for exterior panels.
Exterior Wall Cladding
Concrete is widely used in different settings and maybe a way to introduce more intricate shapes to your backyard. If you want an artistic or exquisite-looking output, then consider using concrete to line your exteriors. Source: metalconstruction.org. Metal exterior wall cladding is one of the fantastic ideas to spice up your home.
- If you want something that feels modern and rugged, then you can start by including metal in your cladding design.
- Cladding contractors typically have a knack for introducing designs that speak to the style of your home.
They can mold the metal to reflect whatever preferences you have for the exteriors.
Types of cladding
Source: norstoneusa.com. Stone has gone beyond flooring decorations, a transformative material used for many cladding systems. Nowadays, many designers have come up with ways to incorporate stone into a variety of surfaces.
You may work with your cladding contractors to select colorful and detailed stones. Granite, marble, and other materials are staples in many homes.
Have a few more dollars to spare? Want a futuristic look? Then three-dimensional elements might be the way to go for you.
More and more architects are experimenting with designs that have a futuristic, almost cyberpunk feel. If a highly stylized look you want, feel free to use 3D cladding.
7. Wood and Plastic Composite Cladding
The 3D layering allows you to explore designs that may be too complex for other materials. Source: hzcdn.com.
Another combination of materials, these two come out with a very strong coating that requires very little maintenance.
19. Metal Cladding
9. Precast Concrete Cladding
If you want cladding that is not a hassle to clean, this material might do it for you.
6. Foam Cladding
Those that live in coastal areas will do well with cladding systems made of aluminum and zinc since they can withstand the microparticles of salt deposited in the air.
14. Terracotta Cladding Tiles
They are also waterproof. Do not count this out just yet. Much like metal cladding, plastic is another durable way to come up with exterior systems for your home.
They can also help bring out the other elements of your household. In addition, plastic is also cheaper to obtain than most other materials.
10. Ceramic Tile Cladding
You can also add brighter shades to the colors. Source: twimg.com.
1. Stone Exterior Cladding
Can’t decide between the different materials? You might want to mix some of them together.
19 Top Types of Exterior Wall Cladding Materials | Pros and Cons of Exterior Wall Cladding
In this case, wood and plastic are fused to create durable cladding.
The result is a wood-looking finish that lasts much longer, thanks to the carefully engineered plastic. Many homes use composite cladding due to its versatility and visual appeal.
Exterior wall cladding is a type of exterior wall that is installed on the exterior of a building to provide a desired look or provide protection for the building’s exterior.
Exterior wall cladding is designed to protect the exterior walls of a building.
- It is often used as a cover for any cracks in the wall or to cover up fact that the surface is brick or cinder block.
- One of the most common types of exterior wall cladding is vinyl.
- Vinyl is often used on new home construction projects.
Exterior wall cladding is a type of building surface that is applied to the outside of a house. It is usually designed to protect the structure from the elements and to improve the insulation of the home.
There are many different options for cladding including vinyl siding, aluminum, cedar shake, and brick. There are many benefits to using wall cladding in your exterior home design.
One of the main reasons you might choose exterior wall cladding is it provides protection from the elements.
12. Fibre Cement Cladding
Weather-resistant cladding can help protect your building from things like rain and snow.
- This will help you to avoid costly repair and replacement costs.
- Another benefit to exterior wall cladding is it. Exterior wall cladding also make it a more aesthetically pleasing and valuable property.
- There are many advantages of using cladding systems and designers need to understand them correctly, to ensure that they make the right decision at the start of any project.
Types of Exterior Wall Cladding Materials
Wall cladding is a great way to add value. Wall cladding is a great way to add value to your home’s appearance. It helps you put a unique touch or style to all your walls and really accentuate your home’s design.
Wall cladding is an easy way to change the look of your home. If you want to change the look of your home, wall cladding is an easy way to do it.
You can make changes that will completely transform your home simply by changing the color and other aspects of your exterior wall cladding.
Wall cladding helps add protection to your home. Exterior wall cladding is a great way to add insulation into your home. It helps protect your walls from the harsh weather and temperature changes and elements such as wind, water, snow and ice, especially in coastal regions.
Wall cladding is an easy way to build an attractive home. If you are looking for an easy way to add style and value to all of your walls, you should consider exterior wall cladding.
It is a great way to create a stunning exterior that will help give your home the look you have always wanted.
11. Curtain Wall Cladding
There are many types of exterior wall cladding, depending on the type of material that is used to help the home.
The most common types of exterior wall cladding are;. Stone cladding is an excellent option for people who live in regions that are prone to natural disasters, such as earthquakes and hurricanes.
Why Should You Use Wall Cladding?
Stone cladding gives a more natural look and adds a tinge of elegance to the walls. Stones are quarried and slashed into minute pieces to reduce the weight. These are then applied to the structures giving it an earthy and rustic look.
Advantages of Stone Exterior cladding include;. -Durability: Stone is the hardiest of all the materials used for cladding.
It is very durable and can withstand extreme temperatures. -Eco-friendly: Stone is a naturally occurring substance that does not contain any harmful chemicals. It is a very eco-friendly material and will not pollute the environment.
-Symmetry: You can get an even surface finish on stone cladding.
5. Vinyl Siding
There are no voids or patterns to break up the overall look of your home’s exterior walls.
- -Natural beauty: Stone has an organic appeal that makes it a natural choice for anyone who wants to help improve the look of their property.
- Brick is arguably the most popular exterior cladding material. It provides a warm, natural look to your home’s exterior and helps give the structure a more timeless feel.
- Brick was initially developed with reduced labor and time, making it very easy for many people to apply it on their homes.
Aluminum and Zinc
This kind of cladding has been popular for many years in regions that experience natural disasters and climates that are very cold.
Brick is a very durable building material that is composed of clay, sand, lime and water. These are baked for several days before a layer of mud is applied to create the bricks.
Advantages of brick cladding include;. -Scale: Brick provides a look that is more celestial than other cladding materials.