Do you own a Netbook or a small form-factor computer without a DVD drive, but want to install Windows (7, 8 or 10) on it?
This article explains the different methods to create a bootable USB Windows Setup media.
- Before you begin, note that you don’t need any software to create a bootable USB media for UEFI-based computers.
- For UEFI-based computers, all you need to do to make a USB Windows setup disk is to format the USB drive as FAT32 (instead of NTFS), mount the Windows Setup ISO to a drive, and copy the entire contents of the mounted drive to the USB drive.
- This is sufficient to make the drive bootable in UEFI-based computers.
- You don’t need to use any of the methods in this article to prepare a USB boot media for UEFI-based computers.
The Windows USB/DVD tool formats the disk as NTFS, which means that it will not work on UEFI-based systems.
For UEFI-based systems, you need to format the disk as FAT32. For legacy (BIOS/MBR) systems, follow one of the three methods in this article to create a USB Windows Setup Disk. Microsoft’s Windows USB/DVD Download Tool takes an ISO image and creates a bootable USB device that can be used to install Windows. The utility can create a Windows installation DVD from the ISO file as well.
Part 2: How to Boot Windows 7 from a USB Drive
Download the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool.
- To copy the ISO image to USB flash drive, ensure that the drive has sufficient disk space.
- Different OSes have different ISO file sizes.
Create Windows 7 bootable USB with Windows 7 Install Files
|Bahasa Indonesia||,||Bahasa Malaysia||,||Български||,||Čeština||,||Dansk||,||Deutsch||,||Ελληνικά||,|
|Polski||,||Português||,||Português do Brasil||,||Русский||,||Română||,||Slovensky||,||Slovenščina||,||Srpski||,|
One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?
Be sure to use a drive with a capacity of 8 GB minimum, as Windows 10 ISO file sizes grow every build/version; Windows 10 Fall Creators Update ISO size is 4.4 GB.
Although the caption reads “Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool”, it works flawlessly in Windows 10. Please insert the USB flash drive (or DVD media) into the drive beforehand. The tool works only for the Windows ISO image downloaded from Microsoft.
Part 1: How to Create a Windows 7 Bootable USB
Also, look at an advanced ISO/DVD to USB tool named Rufus.
This utility helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pen drives, memory sticks, etc.
- Rufus is extremely fast, and this tool can be especially useful for cases where:.
- you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.).
Burn Windows 7 bootable USB with Window Boot Genius
you need to work on a system that doesn’t have an OS installed. you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS. you want to run a low-level utility. As said earlier in this article, for UEFI-based computers, all you need to do to make a Windows setup disk is to format the disk as FAT32, mount the ISO to a drive and copy the entire contents of the mounted drive to the USB drive.
Create USB Bootable Windows Setup Disk from ISO:
This is sufficient to make the drive bootable in UEFI-based computers. For legacy (BIOS/MBR) systems, follow these instructions to create a Windows 10 Setup USB disk.
Insert the USB flash disk into the drive. Open admin Command Prompt run the diskpart command. Run the list disk command to see the list of drives. Carefully, note down the disk # for your USB media.
Create USB Bootable Windows Setup Disk without using any software
It’s better to disconnect additional external drives before running this command, for easy identification of the USB drive.
In my case, disk 3 is the USB drive, so I type the following command to select the disk:. Then, run the following command to completely erase the contents of the USB disk:.
Bootable Windows 7 ISO Maker - How to make Windows 7 ISO bootable?
Once done, run the assign command, and then type exit to come out of the Diskpart command environment. Now, Windows reassigns a drive letter (G:\ in this example) for your USB drive.
Mount the Windows Setup ISO by double-clicking on it. Copy the entire contents of the mounted ISO drive (H:\) to your USB flash drive (G:\).
Rufus: An Advanced Tool to Create Bootable USB Drives
- The USB drive is now bootable, and you should be able to install Windows from it. Hope this guide proved helpful to create a bootable USB Windows Setup disk using various methods. Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit. by Jenefey AaronUpdated on 2021-12-22 / Update for Fix Windows. If you would like to install a new version of Windows or you would like to install another operating system on your Windows 7 PC, you will likely need to boot your PC either from a USB drive or a CD drive.
WinISO Standard 6:
- Below we list 2 ways for you to make a Windows 7 bootable USB.
- Firstly, download ISO files for Windows 7 directly from Microsoft.
- Next, download and install the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool.
Since I'm getting asked about this on regular basis, there is no donation button on this page.
The main reason is that I feel that the donation system doesn't actually help software development and worse, can be guilt-inducing for users who choose not to donate.
Instead, I think that "mécénat"; or developer patronage, from companies which benefit most from a healthy FLOSS ecosystem, is what we should be aiming for. This is because, unless they are backed by a company, developers who want to provide quality Open Source software cannot realistically sustain full time development, no matter how generous their software users are.
Also, unless you are blocking them (hint, hint), you'll notice that there are ads on this page, which I consider sufficient revenue enough.
Finally the fact that I have the freedom to develop Free Software in my spare time should indicate that I'm well-off enough, and therefore that you should direct your generosity towards people who need it a lot more than I do. If you really insist, you can always make a donation to the Free Software Foundation, as they are the main reason software like Rufus is possible.
At any rate, I'll take this opportunity to say thank you for your continuing support and enthusiasm about this little program: it is much appreciated!
But please continue to feel free to use Rufus without any guilt about not contributing for it financially – you should never have to!
(1) Speed comparison between Rufus and other applications
The following tests were carried out on a Windows 7 x64 Core 2 duo/4 GB RAM platform, with an USB 3.0 controller and a 16 GB USB 3.0 ADATA S102 flash drive.
|•||Windows 7 x64||:||en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_618240.iso|
|Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool v1.0.30||00:08:10|
|Universal USB Installer v22.214.171.124||00:07:10|
|•||Ubuntu 11.10 x86||:||ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso|
|Universal USB Installer v126.96.36.199||00:01:20|
|•||Slackware 13.37 x86||:||slackware-13.37-install-dvd.iso|
|Universal USB Installer v188.8.131.52||00:24:35|
(2) Non exhaustive list of ISOs Rufus is known to work with
|Arch Linux||,||BartPE/pebuilder||,||CentOS||,||Clonezilla||,||Damn Small Linux||,||Debian||,||Fedora||,||FreeDOS||,|
|Garuda Linux||,||Gentoo||,||GParted||,||Hiren's Boot CD||,||LiveXP||,||Knoppix||,||KolibriOS||,||Kubuntu||,||Linux Mint||,|
|Manjaro Linux||,||NT Password Registry Editor||,||OpenSUSE||,||Parted Magic||,||Partition Wizard||,||Raspbian||,|
|ReactOS||,||Red Hat||,||rEFInd||,||Rocky Linux||,||Slackware||,||Super Grub2 Disk||,||Tails||,||Trinity Rescue Kit||,|
|TrueNAS CORE||,||Ubuntu||,||UEFI Shell||,||Ultimate Boot CD||,||Windows XP (SP2+)||,||Windows Vista||,|
|Windows 7||,||Windows 8/8.1||,||Windows 10||,||Windows Server 2019||,||Windows 11||,||…|
Hosting by GitHub