Quick Navigation:. A bootable USB stick is a USB drive that contains instructions for your computer's boot loader to load up various assets to run an operating system. There are two main functions of a bootable USB drive: one is for OS installation, and the other is for system recovery.
- You may need a bootable USB in the following occasions:. Overwrite the existing OS or install the OS from scratch.
- Run backup or clone operations without loading your computer OS. Recover a failed system or lost data when the OS on the internal drive can’t load up.
When is bootable USB needed?
If you want to create an installation USB for Windows, get USB boot software free download here. However, you may need different USB drives for different Windows systems. Is there a kind of USB bootable software for all Windows systems?
AOMEI Backupper Standard is the best free USB bootable software that is designed for all Windows editions.
- Following are its main features:.
- ✭ The bootable USB created by AOMEI Backupper can be used on all Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP, both 32 bit and 64 bit.✭ You are allowed to create not only a bootable USB stick but also a bootable CD or DVD.✭ You can choose to create bootable media based on Linux kernel or Windows PE.
- After booting into a Linux boot disc, you are able to perform restore and clone operations only whereas a Windows PE boot disc allows you to start backup, restore and clone processes.✭ You can only use the troubleshooting and repair utilities offered by AOMEI Backupper after booting into AOMEI bootable media.