Water meters are sometimes stolen from building sites. Stolen meters may also be reported by one of our meter readers who have noticed its missing while trying to conduct a reading at your property.
- If your meter is missing and you have no water available at your property please call us on 13 13 75 and we will have a crew there within 2 hours to reinstate your service.
- If you're building and require water for construction, your meter will generally be replaced within 48 hours.
- There is no cost to replace your water meter if it has been stolen.
- For an established residential property, the property owner is responsible for replacing the meter. If your property is still being built, and you have an active building application in place, then we will contact the builder about replacing the meter – however your individual contract with your builder may have different conditions so you will need to check this.
- Once a house is complete and handover from the builder to the owner has taken place, responsibility for the meter is with the property owner.
- The fee to replace a damaged water meter is $295.35 for a standard 20mm meter.
Other sizes will be priced at cost. There is no cost to replace a stolen water meter.
This article was co-authored by Mike Garcia.