Follow these steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10. Before you download the tool make sure you have:. An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
A blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media.
We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.
When burning a DVD from an ISO file, if you are told the disc image file is too large you will need to use Dual Layer (DL) DVD Media. Check a few things on the PC where you want to install Windows 10:.
64-bit or 32-bit processor (CPU). You’ll create either a 64-bit or 32-bit version of Windows 10.
1. Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from Microsoft
To check this on your PC, go to PC info in PC settings or System in Control Panel, and look for System type. System requirements. Make sure the PC meets the system requirements for Windows 10. We also recommend going to the PC manufacturer's website for additional info about updated drivers and hardware compatibility.
Language in Windows. You'll need to choose the same language when you install Windows 10. To see what language you're currently using, go to Time and language in PC settings or Region in Control Panel.
Edition of Windows. You should also choose the same edition of Windows. To check what edition you're currently running, go to PC info in PC settings or System in Control Panel, and look for Windows edition. Windows 10 Enterprise isn’t available in the media creation tool.
For more info, go to the Volume Licensing Service Center. Microsoft Office products. If you just purchased a new device that includes Office 365, we recommend redeeming (installing) Office before upgrading to Windows 10. To redeem your copy of Office, please see Download and install Office 365 Home, Personal, or University on your PC.
How to perform clean install of Windows 10
For more information, check How to upgrade to Windows 10 on new devices that include Office 365. If you have Office 2010 or earlier and choose to perform a clean install of Windows 10, you will need to locate your Office product key. For tips on locating your product key, check Find your Office 2010 product key or Enter the product key for your Office 2007 program.
Using the tool to create installation media:.
- Select Download tool now, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool. If you agree to the license terms, select Accept. On the What do you want to do?
- page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next. Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10. This table will help you decide which edition of Windows 10 you’ll choose:.
Select which media you want to use: USB flash drive. Attach a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space.
- Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.ISO file. Save an ISO file to your PC, which you can use to create a DVD.
After the file is downloaded, you can go to location where the file is saved, or select Open DVD burner, and follow the instructions to burn the file to a DVD. For more info about using an ISO file, see Additional methods for using the ISO file to install Windows 10 section below.
How to create USB for clean install of Windows 10
USB flash drive. Attach a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted. Save an ISO file to your PC, which you can use to create a DVD. After the file is downloaded, you can go to location where the file is saved, or select Open DVD burner, and follow the instructions to burn the file to a DVD.
For more info about using an ISO file, see Additional methods for using the ISO file to install Windows 10 section below.
- After the installation media is created, follow the steps below to use it. After completing the steps to install Windows 10, please check that you have all the necessary device drivers installed.
- To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.
- You may also wish to visit your device manufacturer’s support site for any additional drivers that may be needed.
Note: Drivers for Surface devices may be found on the Download drivers and firmware for Surface page.
If your computer has problems, such as running slow, system crash, programs quitting randomly, or some, a fresh install may be the best way to fix it. It is hard to find the real reason behind your system problems, and reinstalling Windows can surely fix these deep-seated problems.
If you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you may find some system issues. After the upgrade, system may run slowly due to unknown programs taking up much computer resources, some programs abort in the middle of an operation, and other strange behaviors may arise.
How to prepare computer for clean install of Windows 10
In that case, you can do a fresh install to fix all that problems. Generally, after fresh Windows 10 installation, all your files and programs saved on C: drive will be lost.
Getting rid of system problems is great, but having to reinstall all well functional programs may be cumbersome. Luckily, there are two ways to still keep data remaining on C: drive when you do a clean install. If your C: drive is larger enough (at least 16GB of free space), you can reinstall Windows 10 on C: drive without formatting C: drive.
In that way, Windows will move all data to Windows.old folder. After the fresh install, you can move all your data out of that folder. You can also create a system backup, then selectively restore some of the files and programs to C: drive after the fresh install. If you want to clean system drive only and reinstall Windows 10, you can backup only system to avoid data loss.
If you want to clean up the entire hard drive and start fresh, you can backup the hard drive. Considering the need to flexibly restore files from an image backup, you can use free backup and restore software AOMEI Backupper. It allows you to backup system, files, partitions and disks and to retrieve some of the files without restoring the whole image backup.
In addition, if you suffer from data loss and system errors after some operations or a Windows 10 update, you can also use this image backup to restore your system to an earlier normal state.
You can refer the following steps to backup your system or hard drive:. Download this freeware, install and launch it. Click Backup tab and then select System Backup to only backup system. If you want to backup the entire system disk, just select Disk Backup.
In the next screen, you can see AOMEI Backupper has already included the system related partitions, so you just need to specify a location to receive the image backup.
- Note: It is recommended to backup Windows 10 to an external hard drive or network attached storage (NAS) since fresh install will delete everything on C: drive.
- In the Operation Summary screen, click Start Backup to start the backup. To reinstall Windows 10 from scratch, you should prepare a Windows 10 installation disc or USB drive.
- If you do not have one, you download the Windows 10 media creation tool from Microsoft to create one.
Then follow the steps below:. Connect the Windows 10 installation disk to your computer.
Press a specified key (usually Delete or F2) to boot into BIOS and modify the boot order, so your computer will boot from the installation disk.
When loaded, select language and other preference, and then click Install Now. When you are asked to enter product key, just click Skip. After fresh installation, Windows 10 will automatically get activated.
- Select Windows 10 installation type: Custom to ensure a clean install.
- Delete C: drive and system reserved partition. Then select the unallocated space and click New to create a new system reserved partition and C: drive.
- Then select that partition to fresh install Windows 10. When the copying files process is complete or computer restarts, disconnect the Windows 10 installation disk and wait for the installation to complete.
♥ Tip on how to create a factory image backup:. You never know when your computer will not work and if it can be recovered, thus it's suggested to create a factory recovery partition after reinstallation, it's the best time.
Windows 10 fresh install is needed
To make it, you could consider using one key recovery software - AOMEI OneKey Recovery. By using it, you can create a system image backup and bootable media simultaneously, and it will add boot menu of this software on your computer. You can access it at the next system startup or press specific key, F11 or A, for example.
Now, you should have your fresh Windows 10 installed. Since we have backed up Windows 10 for a fresh install, then you restore files that you like to keep.
You can reinstall AMEI Backupper or use AOMEI Backupper bootable media to restore the data. Within AOMEI Backupper, select Explore Image under Tools instead of Restore.