Google Input Tools is a free software extension that lets users enter text in another language when you cannot type the correct characters from your computer keyboard. It works on all devices that can access Google Search, Gmail, Google Drive, Google Translate, and YouTube. This extension supports over ninety languages.
- You can input text using a combination of transliteration, Input Method Editors, virtual keyboards, and handwriting.
- The input method will depend on the language you choose.
- It even allows keyboard shortcuts for changing languages when using Google Services.
- This language input software is quite versatile as it allows different input methods for different languages.
- Let's look at how you can type in a different language using Google Input Tools on your Windows PC or touchscreen device.
- Unlike translation, transliteration is based not on meaning but on phonetic similarity.
- With this method, the language editor converts the sounds of the word you type into a word with a similar sound in another language you choose.
- With transliteration input, you type in the word you want in a different language based on what the word sounds like and how you would write it using your keyboard.
The software then makes a list of words with a similar sound. You get to choose the word that best fits your needs. It can convert to more than twenty languages. Input Method Editors convert keystrokes based on the sounds of the letters. Each letter you type on your keyboard brings up a list of characters in the language you choose. You then select the character that best represents the letter or syllable you need.
Keystroke conversion is available in seven IMEs.
This method is particularly useful when there are counterparts for each letter in the other alphabet. You could, for example, write Russian using a French keyboard. The Google Input Tools extension comes with an on-screen keyboard allowing you to type in a different language with a virtual keyboard on the lower right corner of your screen. Click on each character using a mouse on regular PCs or tap with your fingers on touchscreen laptops, tablets, and smartphones. The Google typing software offers more than 90 keyboards in different languages.
It even allows symbols for unusual characters you can't find on the keyboard.
- It's a fast way to switch between alphabets when you want to write in two languages.
- The handwriting tool lets you draw the words using a mouse, optical pen, touchscreen stylus, or your finger, whether you have a touchscreen-enabled device.
- It works wonders with pictographic languages.
- An optical tracing recognition feature translates your drawing of the word into the nearest character with a similar shape.
Then you choose between different options in a textbox.
- If you are a citizen of the world who grew up learning different languages, or need several languages for your work, you love the multicultural, multilingual global community we have nowadays.