The following diagrams show how to solve an elapsed time problem using a number line. Scroll down the page for step by step solutions on how to find the elapsed time. Elapsed Time: How to Solve Elapsed Time on a Number LineHow to find out how much time has elapsed by using a number line?
Example:Emily had soccer practice after school today.
How to Calculate the Elapsed Time
- The green clock shows what time practice began. The yellow clock shows what time it ended.
How much time did Emily spend in soccer practice today?
- Calculating Elapsed TimeCalculate the time interval between two given times, and also the time before or after a given time, knowing the duration.
Elapsed Time - Number LineHow to find elapsed time on a number line?
- Try the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice various math topics.
- Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page.
Elapsed Time Using Subtraction
Teach Elapsed Time – Using Four Different Strategies
Elapsed Time = “After” - “Before”
Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page. Calculating the elapsed time means to find the difference between two times.
To calculate the elapsed time, it is easiest to count up in hours.
=“3:00:00” - “1:00:00”
First find the number of minutes from the earliest time to the next hour by subtracting the number of minutes in the earliest time from 60.
Count up in hours until the hour before the final time.
Then read the number of minutes from this hour until the final time.
Check out these related products!
- Here, there are 40 minutes until 09:00, 1 hour until 10:00 and then 15 minutes from 10:00 until 10:15. Adding the minutes, we have 1 hour 55 minutes.
The start and end times are labelled on the end of a time line. Between 11:45 and 15:11 are the hours of 12:00, 13:00, 14:00 and 15:00, which are marked on the time line.
We subtract the 45 minutes of 11:45 from 60 minutes to get 15 minutes.
There are 15 minutes from 11:45 to 12:00. Between 12:00 and 15:00 there are 3 hours. From 15:00 to 15:11 there are 11 minutes.
- We add the minutes together. 15 + 11 = 26 minutes in total. The elapsed time is 3 hours 26 minutes. To calculate elapsed time:. Count the number of minutes from the first time to the hour that comes after it.
Count on in hours until the hour immediately before the final time.
Count the number of minutes from this hour until the final time. Add the hours and minutes to find a total. For example, find the elapsed time between 11:45 and 15:11. The first step is to count the number of minutes from the first time to the hour that comes after it. The first time is 11:45 and the hour that comes after it is 12:00.