Windows 10, versions 2004, 20H2, 21H1, and 21H2 share a common core operating system with an identical set of system files. Therefore, the new features in Windows 10, version 21H2 are included in the latest monthly quality update for Windows 10, version 2004, 20H2, and 21H1, but are in an inactive and dormant state.
These new features will remain dormant until they are turned on through the “enablement package,” a small, quick-to-install “master switch” that activates the Windows 10, version 21H2 features.
The enablement package is a great option for installing a scoped feature update like Windows 10, version 21H2 as it enables an update from version 2004, or 20H2, or 21H1 to version 21H2 with a single restart, reducing update downtime. This enables devices to take advantage of new features now. For version 2004, 20H2, and 21H1 devices that receive updates directly from Windows Update, devices automatically get the enablement package by installing the feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2.
If a device is updating from Windows 10, version 1909 or an earlier version, this feature update enablement package cannot be manually installed. Instead, it is bundled and automatically included with the feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2.
Note the installation time is not reduced in this scenario. Release Channel. Windows Update and Microsoft Update. This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update. The update is named Feature Update to Windows 10, version 21H2.
What You Need to Do Before Installing Windows 10 Updates
- Microsoft Update Catalog.
This update is only available through the other release channels. Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). This update will automatically synchronize with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:.
What’s new on Windows 10 21H2, November 2021 Update
Product: Windows 10. Classification: Upgrades. Before updating to Windows 10, version 21H2 using an enablement package, you must be running Windows 10, version 2004, 20H2, or 21H1.
- You must have the following prerequisites installed before applying this update:.
- Servicing stack update for Windows 10, version 2004: September 8, 2020 or a later servicing stack update. September 14, 2021 – KB5005565 (OS Build 19041.1237) or a later cumulative update.
- You must restart your device after you apply this update. This update does not replace any previously released update.
- Learn about the terminology that Microsoft uses to describe software updates. The next version of Windows 10, called Windows 10 21H2 update i.e.
Windows 10 November 2021 update is available to install for eligible devices, since. 17th November 2021. This article explains how to install Windows 10 November 2021 update, either manually or using the enablement package.
How to download cumulative updates
Teams across the Windows Organization have focused development of Windows 11, hence the 21H2 update only contains a “scoped” set of features, as outlined below:.
- Adding WPA3 H2E standards support for enhanced Wi-Fi security. Windows Hello for Business introduces a new deployment method called cloud trust to support simplified passwordless deployments and achieve a deploy-to-run state within a few minutes.
- GPU compute support in the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) and Azure IoT Edge for Linux on Windows (EFLOW) deployments for machine learning and other compute intensive workflows.
- The codebase like the previous Windows versions, i.e. 20H1 and 20H2 releases remains the same for the 21H1 one as well.
- In addition, from next year there would be only one major update to Windows 10. Previously there used to be two feature updates per year.
The Media Creation Tool is by far the most dependable method to update to Windows 10 Novembe 2021 update.
When the download is finished, open the Tool. Consequently, Accept the License terms. Select the Upgrade this PC now option to start the update.
How To Install Windows 10 21H2 Update Manually: Frequently Asked Questions
Wrapping things up
Likewise the previous updates, you can also download the ISO file and then update your computer.
Update Assistant and Media Creation Tool
The steps are better explained in the article below related to Windows 10 21H1 update:. As Windows 10 2004, 20H2, 21H1, and 21H2 share the same codebase. Hence, you can use the enablement package KB5003791 to upgrade to Windows 10 21H2 from any previous release. The prerequisite is, the September update KB5005565 must be installed before.
Given below are the Direct download links:.