Upgrade a Windows 10 PC to Windows 11. You have a Windows 10 license. Your PC must have Windows 10, version 2004 or higher installed to run Installation Assistant. Your PC meets the Windows 11 device specifications for upgrade requirements and supported features.
Certain features require additional hardware. We also recommend that you visit your PC’s manufacturer’s website for information about updated drivers and hardware compatibility.
Windows Update in Settings (recommended)
Your PC must have 9 GB of free disk space to download Windows 11. You need to be an administrator to run this tool. Once the tool confirms the device hardware is compatible, you will be presented with the license terms.
Select Accept and Install. Once the tool is ready, click the Restart Now button to complete installation on your computer. It might take some time to install Windows 11, and your PC will restart a few times.
Make sure you don’t turn off your PC. Please be sure to follow me on Twitter @adacosta for the latest tips, tricks and updates in the world of Windows 10. Technical Level : IntermediateSummaryIf you have installed a recent release of Windows in the past 15 years, you pretty much know what it will be like to install Windows 11.
Before you begin
In this article, we take a look at performing a clean install. This includes starting a clean install from within a running version of Windows or a hard disk/SSD with no previous Windows installations.
- Perform a clean install by booting from install media (DVD or USB thumb drive).
- Perform a clean install using Reset in Windows 10 or Windows 10 Refresh Tools (Start Fresh).
- Perform a clean install from within a running version of Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10. Windows 11 is a free upgrade for Windows 10 users. As long as your current Windows 10 installation is activated, you can upgrade for free or perform a clean install using your existing Windows 10 product key.
- Just make sure you are installing the Windows 11 edition that currently corresponds with your Windows 10 edition.
Other ways to install Windows 11 (not recommended)
Once you have your Windows 10 installation media ready, all you need to do is boot from the disc or USB thumb drive to begin setup. If you don't have install media, see instructions: How to download official Windows ISO files.
Review the following guide for instructions and details about configuring your BIOS or UEFI boot settings for DVD, CD, USB or SD Card. Once your computer is set to boot from the DVD, you should see this option to boot from the installation media.
Press any key to load Windows setup files.
- Learn more here.
- The Windows logo will appear on screen, this might be here for a while, as long as you see the animating dots, everything should be ok.
- Select your Language, Time and Keyboard method then click Next. Click Install now. Windows 11 setup will prompt you for a product key during installation a couple times.
If you originally upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 click the option 'I don't have a key' and 'Do this later' .
If you have a Windows 10 or Windows 11 product key, you can proceed to enter it. Setup will also prompt you to select the edition you have a license for - Home or Pro. Please make sure you choose the right edition. If you choose the wrong edition, your only option will be to perform a clean install again.
The copy of Windows 11 you download and upgrade from will correspond with the edition of Windows you have installed, if it does not, this is why you might be experiencing problems activating:.
- Windows 10 Home > Windows 11 Home. Windows 10 Pro > Windows 11 Pro. If you are running specific editions of Windows 10 such as N, Single Language, Education, Pro Edu or Pro for Workstations, make sure you select the correct edition.
- Accept the license terms then click Next. Click Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) .
- NOTE: Sometimes Windows 11 setup can become confused if it see's a thumb drive. You might get a driver missing error or something to that effect. If you do, restart setup, but this time, when you arrive at the following screen, disconnect your thumb drive then go through Custom options.
- When setup is ready copy files, it will prompt you to reconnect the installation source (your USB). Select the drive then click New.
- NOTE: If you have multiple partitions listed, select each one (starting at the bottom), then click delete until there is only a single (one) unallocated drive displayed in the window. Select the unallocated drive listed, click New, click Apply then OK.
- This will split the drive into multiple partitions, select the Primary partition then click Next. NOTE: The System Reserved partition is where recovery files are kept for diagnostics and repairing damaged Windows 11 files; or even reinstall Windows 11.
- Wait while Windows installs. When this phase of setup is complete, Windows will automatically restart then reboot into setup again. Windows is detecting and installing your hardware. After this is complete, Windows will restart one last time. Out of Box Experience. The Out of Box Experience page is where you get to configure detailed settings in Windows, which includes creating a user account, configure privacy, sync PC settings and install modern applications.
Perform a Clean Install Using Reset, Recovery Drive or Refresh Tools (Start Fresh) in Windows 11. If you already have Windows 11 installed, you can use the built in Reset function, Recovery Drive or Refresh Tools (Start Fresh) in Windows 10 do so.
Can You Install Windows 11 on a Virtual Machine?
Learn how in the following article:. How to Perform a Clean Install by Starting Setup from Within a Running Version of Windows. If you are running Windows 7 or Windows 8.0, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, launch Windows 11 setup using ISO Media:.
During setup, at the Ready to install screen, click Change what to keep link. Click Next to being the installation. How to Verify If You Downloaded or Installed the Latest Version Windows. Technical Level: Intermediate. Applies to: All Windows 11 editions. Demonstrated with: Windows 11 Preview Build 22000.132 ISO file (first official Windows 11 ISO file).Revision: 5.0.
Preparing for clean install of Windows 11. Windows 11 minimum hardware requirements. Things you'll need for clean install. Creating bootable USB drive.
Clean Install Windows 11 On Your Computer Now
Steps to install Windows 11. Video demonstration. Summary: A clean install is usually done by formatting the existing operating system or on a drive which has no operating system installed.
For clean install, we will first create a bootable USB drive. Then boot from it and format the current operating system drive or select the empty drive where we want to install Windows 11. Once we completed Windows setup configuration, we'll be then moved to complete the Out of Box Experience (OOBE).
After completing OOBE, we should be able to use Windows 11 like we have used previous Windows operating system(s). Preparing for clean install of Windows 11: Before proceeding for a clean install, you should be aware of following things:.
Subscribe to our newsletter
You can refer this support article to locate your product key.