A portable generator is a multipurpose machine. It provides power for you when there’s no readily available electrical source nearby.
Portable generator plays a great role for running your basic appliances at home. When there’s a power outage, and life at a campsite is more comfortable with a generator.
Just you have to know how to start a portable generator safely, as it may not be as simple as you think.
Can I Start My Generator with a Car Battery?It’s true that in most cases the best portable generators are extremely easy to use.
DuroMax 10000-Watt Portable Generator Compatible Replacement Battery
They’re very simple, really.
But still, you need to take certain steps so that you can start and use the generator safely.
- It’s not just a matter of flicking a switch each time. To start a generator with a key, follow the steps below.
Firman 10000 Watt H08053 Generator Compatible Replacement Battery
Step 1 – Check the engine oil gauge.
Step 2 – Press the power button to turn your generator on.
- Step 3 – Open the fuel valve to allow fuel to flow into the engine. Step 4 – Turn the choke on.
Firman 10000 Watt P08004 Generator Compatible Replacement Battery
Different generators have different types of chokes.
For some, you’ll pull out the choke to turn it on and push it back in to turn it off.
- For others, you’ll slide the choke to the extreme left to turn it on and slide it to the right to turn it off.
Firman 10000 Watt P08007 Generator Compatible Replacement Battery
Step 5 – Insert the key and turn it to the right to start it.
If everything’s fine with your generator, it should start immediately or at the second or third attempt.
- The good news is that most portable generators that offer key-start also offer recoil start as a backup.
Firman 3200 Watt WH02942 Generator Compatible Replacement Battery
So, if the key is not available or the key-start option isn’t working, you can shift to the recoil start option.
Step 1 – Check the engine oil gauge.
- Step 2 – Press the power button to turn your generator on. Step 3 – Open the fuel valve to allow fuel to flow into the engine.
Firman 3300 Watt W03083 Generator Compatible Replacement Battery
Step 4 – Switch the choke on.
Step 5 – Grab the recoil handle and pull it swiftly at once.
- The generator should start immediately or after several attempts. At this juncture, we’d like to remind you of the fact that starting your generator with the key is the best, smartest, and easiest option.
Firman 330713621 Generator Compatible Replacement Battery
Aged people and pregnant women may not be able to use the recoil start.
So, if the key-start option isn’t working, try to fix it as soon as possible.
- Many portable generators do not have the key-start option. You can only start them through a recoil start.
Firman 336713838 Generator Compatible Replacement Battery
Unfortunately, it is possible for the starting cord to cut off while you’re trying to start it.
If that happens, there’s a workaround.
- You can start your generator with a drill. We’ll tell you now. Step 1 – Remove the housing of the recoil assembly.
Firman 3650 Watt W03382 Generator Compatible Replacement Battery
Step 2 – Since the handle of the cord is cut off, remove the entire cord.
It is useless without its handle.
- Step 3 – Locate the nut at the side of the naked recoil assembly. Step 4 – Get an Allen key that fits the nut.
Firman 4550 Watt H03651 Generator Compatible Replacement Battery
Step 5 – Fit the key to the mouth of your drill.
Step 6 – Place the key on the nut at the side of the recoil assembly and start your drill.
- The catch here is to spin the recoil assembly with the drill. Immediately you start your drill, it will spin the recoil start.
Firman 4550 Watt P03603 Generator Compatible Replacement Battery
This should start your generator.
The major drawback of this option is that you may have to try it several times before it works.
- First off, you need to understand the function of a choke to a generator.
The choke reduces the amount of air that goes into the engine of your generator.