Challenging behavior is an issue for many young children. Approximately 10% to 15% of typically developing preschoolers have behavior problems when they enter kindergarten. Therefore, promoting positive social-emotional competence in all children and intervening before social-emotional difficulties spiral out of control is important for children to be successful from the very beginning. Information and Resources to Assist States in Developing Policy on Early Childhood Suspension and Expulsion.
The Services We Provide
- High-quality preschool lays the foundation for a child’s educational career. Preschool is where children are learning how to self-regulate, make friends, communicate, and express their wants and needs while preparing for their educational career within the K-12 system.
- If children do not have the behavioral and social-emotional skills needed to effectively participate in preschool programs, they are missing critical opportunities to grow and learn. Teachers and parents are often the “first responders” to address challenging behaviors and need knowledge, resources and support to nurture positive social-emotional development as a foundation of learning.
- This report includes resources to inform early childhood stakeholders at the state and local level interested in developing policy and guidance for programs to prevent and reduce suspension and expulsion. The Pyramid Equity Project. This document addresses problems with suspending and expelling preschool aged children, the federal response to this problem, and how to take action.
- Funded by The Peter and Elizabeth C. Tower Foundation, the Pyramid Model for Supporting Social Emotional Competence in Infants and Young Children is a conceptual framework of evidence-based practices developed by two national, federally-funded research and training centers: The Center for the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (CSEFEL) and TACSEI.
- These centers’ faculty represent nationally recognized researchers and program developers in the areas of social skills and challenging behavior. Based on evaluation data over the last eight years, the Pyramid Model has shown to be a sound framework for early care and education systems. Extensive training materials, videos, and print resources to help states, communities and programs implement the model have been developed.
- The Pre-school/Pre-K, Kindergarten modules are designed for teachers who work with children from three to five years of age. It teaches life-changing strategies for all who work with young children. It also helps teachers support children in a new way to avoid challenging behaviors before they start. Module 1: Building a Foundation for Success Building Relationships and Creating Supportive Environments.
- Module 2: Effective Strategies, Ideas and Resources to help “teach” children and social-emotional competencies (pre-requisite Module 1). Module 3: Individualized Intensive Intervention (pre-requisite Module 1 & 2). Promoting Social and Emotional Competence: These modules were designed based on input gathered during focus groups with program administrators, T/TA providers, early educators, and family members about the types and content of training that would be most useful in addressing the social-emotional needs of young children.
- The content of the modules is consistent with evidence-based practices identified through a thorough review of the literature. Facilitator’s Guide PDF. Promoting Children’s Success: Building Relationships and Creating Supportive Environments. H1.1 Module 1 PowerPoint PPT. Handout H1.2 PDF. Handout H1.3 PDF. Handout H1.4 PDF. Handout H1.5 PDF. Handout H1.6 PDF. Handout H1.7 PDF.
- Handout H1.8 PDF. Mary Go Round Expectations Book PPT. V1.1 Conversations Video. V1.2 System for Centers Video. V1.3 Visual Schedule Video. V1.4 Transition Outside Video. V1.5 Transition to Center Video. V1.6 Transition Cue Video. V1.7 Transition with Timer Video. V1.8 5 Minute Glove Video. V1.9 CircleVideo. V1.10 Circle Activity 2 Video.
- V1.11 Reciting the Rules Video. V1.12 Stop Go Rules Video.
- V1.13 Demonstrating Rules Video. V1.14 Positive Attention Video.
- Social-Emotional Teaching Strategies.
- H2.1 Module 2PPT. Handout H2.2 PDF. Handout H2.3 PDF.
Handout H2.4 PDF. Handout H2.5 PDF. Handout H2.6 PDF. Handout H2.7 PDF. Handout H2.8 PDF. Handout H2.9 PDF. Inventory of Practices PDF.