In this tutorial, we will learn how to build a full stack React.js + Express Authentication & Authorization example. The back-end server uses Node.js Express with jsonwebtoken for JWT authentication and Sequelize for interacting with MySQL database.
The front-end will be created with React, React Router, Axios. We’ll also use Bootstrap and perform Form validation. Related Posts: – React + Node.js + Express + MySQL example: Build a CRUD App – Node.js + MongoDB: User Authentication & Authorization with JWT – Node.js + PostgreSQL: User Authentication & Authorization with JWT.
Run both projects in one place:How to integrate React with Node.js Express on same Server/Port.
Dockerize: – Docker Compose: React, Node.js, MySQL example.
Back-end with Node.js Express & Sequelize.
- Front-end with React, React Router. Comparing with Session-based Authentication that need to store Session on Cookie, the big advantage of Token-based Authentication is that we store the JSON Web Token (JWT) on Client side: Local Storage for Browser, Keychain for IOS and SharedPreferences for Android… So we don’t need to build another backend project that supports Native Apps or an additional Authentication module for Native App users.
- Together they are combined to a standard structure: header.payload.signature.
Create React Multiple Images Upload
For more details, you can visit:In-depth Introduction to JWT-JSON Web Token.
- It will be a full stack, with Node.js Express for back-end and React.js for front-end.
- The access is verified by JWT Authentication.
- User can signup new account, login with username & password.
Authorization by the role of the User (admin, moderator, user).
Let’s see the screenshots of our system:.
– Anyone can access a public page before logging in:.
– A new User can signup:.
- – Form Signup validation will be like this:. – After signup is successful, User can login:.
- – After login, App directs the User to Profile page:.
- – UI for Moderator login (the navigation bar will change by authorities):.
– If a User who doesn’t have Admin role tries to access Admin/Moderator Board page:.
This is full React + Node.js Express JWT Authentication & Authorization demo (with form validation, check signup username/email duplicates, test authorization with 3 roles: Admin, Moderator, User):.
Angular: AngularJS or Node.js or ReactJS or Vue.js
The diagram shows flow of User Registration, User Login and Authorization process.
There are 2 endpoints for authentication:. api/auth/signup for User Registration. api/auth/signin for User Login. If Client wants to send request to protected data/endpoints, it add legal JWT to HTTP x-access-token Header.
Our Node.js Express Application can be summarized in the diagram below:. Via Express routes, HTTP request that matches a route will be checked by CORS Middleware before coming to Security layer.
React Multiple Files Upload with Node/Express Server
Test React Multiple Files Upload API
Security layer includes:. JWT Authentication Middleware: verify SignUp, verify token.
|GET||api/tutorials||get all Tutorials|
|GET||api/tutorials/:id||get Tutorial by |
|POST||api/tutorials||add new Tutorial|
|PUT||api/tutorials/:id||update Tutorial by |
|DELETE||api/tutorials/:id||remove Tutorial by |
|DELETE||api/tutorials||remove all Tutorials|
|GET||api/tutorials?title=[kw]||find all Tutorials which title contains |
Back-end with Node.js Express & Sequelize
Authorization Middleware: check User’s roles with record in database. If these middlewares throw any error, a message will be sent as HTTP response. Controllers interact with MySQL Database via Sequelize and send HTTP response (token, user information, data based on roles…) to client. jsonwebtoken 8.5.1. Sequelize 5.21.3. This is directory structure for our Node.js Express application:. configure MySQL database & Sequelize.
This is only the start
configure Auth Key. auth.routes.js: POST signup & signin.
user.routes.js: GET public & protected resources.
verifySignUp.js: check duplicate Username or Email. authJwt.js: verify Token, check User roles in database. auth.controller.js: handle signup & signin actions.
Q 2: Is Angular good for web development?
user.controller.js: return public & protected content.
– models for Sequelize Models. – server.js: import and initialize neccesary modules and routes, listen for connections.
- You can find step by step to implement this Node.js App in the post:Node.js – JWT Authentication & Authorization with JSONWebToken example.
- For MongoDB database:Node.js + MongoDB: User Authentication & Authorization with JWT.
- Or PostgreSQL database:Node.js + PostgreSQL: User Authentication & Authorization with JWT.
Let’s look at the diagram below. – The App component is a container with React Router (BrowserRouter). Basing on the state, the navbar can display its items. – Login & Register components have form for data submission (with support of react-validation library). They call methods from auth.service to make login/register request.
– auth.service methods use axios to make HTTP requests. Its also store or get JWT from Browser Local Storage inside these methods.
– Home component is public for all visitor. – Profile component displays user information after the login action is successful.
– BoardUser, BoardModerator, BoardAdmin components will be displayed by state user.roles.
Q1: Is Vue js better than React?
In these components, we use user.service to access protected resources from Web API.
– user.service uses auth-header() helper function to add JWT to HTTP header.
auth-header() returns an object containing the JWT of the currently logged in user from Local Storage.
Learn Once, Write Anywhere
If you want to use HttpOnly Cookie for storing JWT, please visit:React.js Login & Registration example – JWT & HttpOnly Cookie.
We’re gonna use these modules:. react-router-dom 5. react-validation 3.0.7. validator 12.2.0. This is folders & files structure for this React application:. With the explanation in diagram above, you can understand the project structure easily.
You can find step by step to implement this React App in the post:React JWT Authentication (without Redux) example. Typescript version: React Typescript JWT Authentication (without Redux) example.
Using Hooks:React Hooks: JWT Authentication (without Redux) example.
Or Redux:React Redux: JWT Authentication & Authorization example. Or Hooks + Redux:React Hooks + Redux: JWT Authentication & Authorization example.
- Now we have an overview of React & Express Authentication example along with flow for login and registration.
- We also take a look at Node.js Express server architecture for JWT Authentication using jsonwebtoken & Sequelize, as well as React.js project structure for building a front-end app working with JWT.
- Next tutorials will show you more details about how to implement this interesting system: – Back-end – Front-end.
- This React Client also works well with back-end in the post: – Node.js + MongoDB: User Authentication & Authorization with JWT – Node.js + PostgreSQL: User Authentication & Authorization with JWT.
- You will want to know how to run both projects in one place:How to integrate React with Node.js Express on same Server/Port.
- This Node.js server also works well with front-end in the post: – React Typescript: JWT Authentication (without Redux) example – React Redux: JWT Authentication & Authorization example – React Hooks: JWT Authentication (without Redux) example – React Hooks + Redux: JWT Authentication & Authorization example.
- Happy learning, see you again! Dockerize: – Docker Compose: React, Node.js, MySQL example.
Create React App is a great tool for getting a React application up and running.
Q 5: Is Angular front end or backend?
It's a little less clear when you're building or prototyping an application that requires a server side component, like generating access tokens for Twilio Video or Chat, though.
- I've found it easiest to work with a server within the same project so that you can start everything up with one command.
- By the end of this post you will learn how to set up an Express server that runs alongside a React app.
- If you can't wait then you can jump straight into the starter project on GitHub.
- There is an option that you can set in Create React App's package.json that proxies non text/html requests through to an alternative back end.
- You can use this feature to proxy to applications running elsewhere, but today we want to be able to run a server within the React project itself.
- We'll pull together a few npm modules that will make it possible to run one command to run our React app and an Express server at the same time so we can proxy to it.
- To follow along with the rest of this post, you will need Node.js and npm installed.
Start by creating a new React app with Create React App. Did you know, you don't have to globally install the create-react-app package to do this?
Some of The Major Benefits of React Web App Development:
Instead, you can run:. Under the hood, npm init takes an initializer name, prepends create- to it and uses npx to install and run the command.
Create Mongoose Schema
Run the new React application to make sure it was generated properly. If you see a spinning React logo, then we're good to go. We'll add our server dependencies to the devDependencies of our React app as they aren't part of building the front end.
Stop the server with Cmd/Ctrl + C and use npm to install Express and Body Parser:. Add the following dependencies to help us run the front end and server together:. node-env-run - Dominik's module for loading environment variables from a config file in development.
nodemon - for automatically restarting the server when it changes. npm-run-all - for running multiple npm scripts at the same time.
express-pino-logger and pino-colada - for better server logging.
Create a file called .env in the project directory to store our environment variables.
Node.js:AngularJS or Node.js or ReactJS or Vue.js
- We don't need to add anything to it just yet, but it will be useful later for including any credentials we need for the server, like API keys.
- Next, in the project directory create a new directory called server and a server/index.jsfile.
- We'll create a small application that we can test with.
- Add the following code in server/index.js:.
Conclusion:AngularJS or Node.js or ReactJS or Vue.js
Open package.json and in the "scripts" object add a new script to run the server using node-env-run and nodemon:. Test that the server is running correctly by running the script:. Open http://localhost:3001/api/greeting to test. You should see a JSON response with a "Hello World!" Try adding a query parameter called name to the URL and see what you get. To run both the server and React application at the same time we need to add a couple more things to package.json. First, we are going to set up the proxy to our server. Add the "proxy" key to package.json.
We've already set our server to run on port 3001, so point the proxy at localhost:3001.
We need a script to run both the server and the front end at the same time.
JWT (JSON Web Token)
A Component Using External Plugins
We will use npm-run-all for this. Since we are going to be running two scripts at the same time we want to use the parallel mode.
npm-run-all gives us a handy shortcut for this with the run-p command. Add the following to the "scripts" section in package.json:.
Run npm run dev and both the React application and the server will start up.
However, we now can't load localhost:3000/api/greeting in the browser because the Create React App proxy will just respond with the base HTML.
Let's test it from within a component in our React app instead.
We're going to add a form to the App component that will use the /api/greeting component to form a greeting and show it on the page.
Add the following constructor and functions to the App component in src/App.js:.
And add this form to the JSX in the render function:.
Open the React app in the browser, fill in your name and submit.
The greeting shows that your React app is now talking to your proxied server.
Create React App does a great job of getting a React application started, but if you need a server side component too, it can be fiddly.
In this post you've seen how to use the proxy option and run an Express server alongside using tools like npm-run-all.
You can check out all the code from this post in this GitHub repo and use it as a jumping off point if you want to build a React app with an Express API.
As a bonus, if you want to create a Twilio Video or Twilio Chat application with React, the Twilio branch is set to return access tokens for either.
Q 4: What are the advantages of Angular over other frameworks?
Just follow the instructions in the README. Using this template, building React applications backed by an Express server is quicker and easier.
I hope it gives you a good platform for building your own ideas; I can't wait to see what you build!
Let’s, install React app for uploading multiple files . Run command from your terminal to install React app. Go to the project folder:. Run the app in browser:.
Here are some of the benefits you get when you choose NodeJs:
View project on this URL: localhost:3000. Install and set up Bootstrap:. Include bootstrap.min.css in src/App.js file:. Navigate to src > components folder and create files-upload-component.js file here. Include FilesUploadComponent in src/App.js file.
Why Should You Go for Node.js Web App Development?
Build node and express server with CORS, UUID, bodyParser. Create the backend folder inside the React app. Create specific package.json file for Node/Express server.
Install NPM modules:. Install nodemon package to restart the node server automatically.
Q 3: Which is better, Angular or Vuejs?
If any change occurs in server files. Create backend > models folder and create User.js file in it.
Define imgCollection value with Array data type with Mongoose _id.
Create backend > routes directory and create user.routes.js file in it. We also need to create backend > public folder to store the uploaded image files. Next, create index.js file inside backend folder and paste the given below code inside of it.
A Simple Component
We are using Postman API testing tool to test our freshly built APIs.
- But before that, let’s start the Node server.
- API base Url: http://localhost:4000/api.
- Final API result:.
Let’s create React multiple image files uploading functionality in React. We need to install axios. Insert following code in src/components/files-upload.component.js file.
Finally, React Multiple File Upload with Node/Express Tutorial is over. In this tutorial, we explored how to upload a multiple image files in the MongoDB database using the Node and Express server.
Angular or React, Node.js, or Vue.js: which is the best technology for custom web app development?
Creating the React.js Frontend
Flow for User Registration and User Login
According to a report, 22.4% and 16.4% of developers want to use React and vue.js respectively, have a look at the chart below that confirms the same.
Vue.js” to help them choose the best one. So, in this blog, we will compare “Angular vs. Vue.js” based on different parameters giving you insights to choose either of them.
We will see what sets them apart and how these tools are helpful in the software product development world. The Ultimate Decision: Angular, React, Node.js or Vue.js?
Want to Hire Full-Stack Developers? Google launched its open-source client web framework called Angular in the year 2010. It was developed for Angular developers to solve the problems coming in the way of creating single-page applications and extending your web application’s HTML vocabulary.
Due to its extensibility feature, it can work well with other libraries.
In addition, it has a large support community. Angular’s architecture allows automatic and easy data synchronization between the model view and the components.
For dependencies, it consists of an inbuilt dependency injection subsystem.
It is quicker and easier with which you can do fast Angular app development and testing.