The two frameworks are similar in a couple of ways. Both use a Virtual DOM, and both possess a reactive and component-based structure. This article, updated for 2021, will articulate the strong points and shortcomings of the two technologies, allowing for more clarity into the popular frameworks and which one is most favorable to you as a developer and the growth of your business.
- It's open-source and supports modularity through components, which are independent and reusable bits of code that serve as the core building blocks of React applications.
- Developers typically use React to build single-page web and mobile applications.
What is Vue.js?
7. SEO: Vue vs React
Unlike some tools in your tech stack, there's no pattern as to when React releases different versions of its framework. As of 2021, the most recent major stable release is React v17.0, which came out in October 2020. However, this version didn't come with any new developer-facing features. Instead, React rolled out various upgrades. Some users encountered problems when upgrading from React 16 to 17.
There are already plans for React 18: . "We’re fixing many of those problems with React 17. This means that when React 18 and the next future versions come out, you will now have more options," said React on its website.
const message =
React is cool!
"The first option will be to upgrade your whole app at once like you might have done before.
But you will also have an option to upgrade your app piece by piece."
According to Evan You, the maker of Vue, its creation came from his desire to extract the parts he liked about Angular, such as data binding, and build something really lightweight.
Though created the year prior, Vue was formally released to the public in 2014. Vue releases far fewer versions of its framework than React does.
The most recent major stable release is Vue 3.0, which came out in September 2020. Features include:. Enhanced TypeScript integration. New APIs for enterprise-use cases. A smaller bundle size. Performance enhancements. Now that we’ve covered the basics for each framework, in this next section we'll compare both React and Vue across various factors including performance, tooling and libraries, scalability, community, jobs, and more.
Both React and Vue interact with the DOM; every time DOM elements are removed or added, updates are made to the Domain data. This interaction is a metric for measuring performance. In the following table, all durations are in milliseconds. From the chart above, we can see that React and Vue carry out the same manipulations within almost the same timeframe.
The performance differences between Vue and React are almost negligible, with a difference of just a few milliseconds for most metrics. This is proof that when it comes to performance Vue and React are quite similar.
React can handle state management from within using setState() to set a component’s state. However, for applications with the possibility of increased complexity and robustness, developers use packages like Redux, Mobx, and the React Context API to manage state.
None of these packages are managed by the core React team. Vue, on the other hand, uses a `store pattern` for state management when the app to be built is relatively simple and small.
However, for large-scale SPAs where many components are in dire need of a shared state store, Vue provides a Flux-like architecture called Vuex with a centralized store.
Vuex is developed and managed by the Vue team and is tailored for Vue users.
What is Vue?
It is very specific in its state management abilities. For routing, React uses the React-Router library, which is also not managed by the React team.
The react-router library smoothly synchronizes the components of an application with the URL. Vue has a routing library called Vue-Router.
The Vue Router is the official router for Vue, even though there are a few other third-party routers like Page.js and Director, and it is extremely seamless to use with Vue.
It is also possible to handle routing without any library, but this is only efficient for apps that need only simple routing. For easy access to a development environment, React provides a CLI that makes it easy to start a react project.
It is called Create-React-App. Vue provides a resource called Vue-CLI which gives developers the ability to quickly begin new Vue projects.
8. Which is better, Vue or React?
The Vue CLI comes already customized, and lets you add plugins anytime during the development lifecycle. React Native is React’s awesome platform for building native Mobile Applications that work for both Android and iOS.
Vue vs React: Meet the contestants
Vue vs React: The Vital Differences
This is awesome because React developers can leverage their knowledge to build mobile apps. Vue, at the time of writing, is partnering with Weex, a cross-platform UI framework to develop a platform that would function like React Native.
Presently, Vue has a NativeScript plugin called NativeScript-Vue for building native applications in Vue. For building cross-platform desktop applications, Vue can readily be used with Electron.
Using the Vue-CLI as scaffolding, Electron-Vue provides a boilerplate where internal configurations have already been taken care of.
Read more: React vs. React Native: Differences, Advantages & Limitations.
SSR provides greater visibility for websites when Google crawls sites for its results pages. It can also improve the user experience. Vue has in-built SSR features, and there are clear instructions on how to use these capabilities in its documentation. React requires a third-party library for SSR. This might not bother you, however, as SSR isn't as important for search engines as in the past. React is lighter than Vue so handles multi-page applications with ease, allowing you to scale the tool as your website or application grows. Just import the library and add JS features direct on React.
Then use a third-party form package and routing tool. You can also scale pretty seamlessly (up to a certain point) with the Vue CLI, which boasts various templates for single-page applications.
- As your website scales, add additional templates from community developers and customize them the way you like.
- You'll still need to use a routing tool and form package to scale on Vue, which most developers will find easy at first.
- However, the option to use JSX syntax on React proves more useful in the long term, especially when using HTML templates becomes a chore. Being backed by Facebook, React has a very large community compared to Vue.
- Presently, React has over 288,000 questions on StackOverflow. It also has over 68,000 npm packages.
React’s community, though large, is very fragmented because of the freedom given to developers to adopt whatever structure suits them.
This liberty is the cause of an underlying confusion, hence the large number of questions recorded on StackOverflow. React presently has 165,000 stars on Github, about 15,000 stars less than Vue's 180,000.Analytics from GoogleTrends show that in comparison to Vue, React has an advantage in search relevance over the past 12 months. Evan You owns Vue.js and manages it with his team. Since its release in 2014, its community has grown competitive with React over time and remains promising. There are more than 74,000 questions on StackOverflow tagged Vue.js, and there are about 24,000 npm packages. Vue has above 180,000 stars on Github.
The large community base that React has and the number of questions on StackOverflow, translate to a large pool of React developers.
React has more available developers in comparison to Vue. However, as the report from stateofjs above indicates, there are also a lot of developers interested in learning Vue.
Development of the frameworks
Over the next few months and years, the Vue developer count will likely continue to increase. A recent search on StackOverflow shows that a React developer could earn as much as $150k while a Vue.js developer could earn about $90k.
It also shows that there are more React jobs than Vue jobs. Read more: Comparing Angular vs Vue.
Round 11: HTML templating vs JSX
Developers on StackShare.io rated React's components as its best feature, followed by its virtual dom and performance. On TrustRadius, where React has an average user score of 9/10 based on 62 reviews, one developer said:.
[There are] component-based views that guide the developer to modular and reusable pieces to your interface."
(Erik Ralston). Another developer said:. "React is designed around the notion of generated HTML as opposed to templated HTML.
This provides more flexibility in building elements on a page and allows developers to create HTML that is programmatically configured based on runtime considerations." Another developer said: . "React could get very frustrating unless you start thinking in React.
React enforces a top-down hierarchy of data flow and offers no way for the data to communicate backward.
6. Key differences between Vue and React
This is a big shift in mindset coming from Angular 1.x. This constraint is really a big factor that determines how to organize your code and how you might want to write your own components."
12. Example of apps built with Vue
Round 6: Scalability
(Anudeep Palanki). Developers on StackShare.io rated Vue's simple and easy-to-use interface as its best feature, followed by its documentation and components. One developer said:. "I find using Vue.js to be easier (more concise / less boilerplate) and more intuitive than writing React.
Round 9: State Management
- However, there are a lot more readily available React components that I can just plug into my projects.
- I'm debating whether to use Vue.js or React for an upcoming project that I'm going to use to help teach a friend how to build an interactive front-end."
- (Cyrus Stoller). In a comparison between React vs Vue, JetRuby Agency said:.
- "One of the coolest things Vue.JS has borrowed is the idea of using virtual DOM.
- In simple words, virtual DOM is a lightweight copy of DOM, which allows you to manipulate objects without having to draw them on the screen.
Introducing React and Vue.js
- Every time you render an element, every single virtual DOM object is updated.
- When you update the virtual DOM, React compares it with its previous version."
Round 2: Talent Availability
- Although JSX is in line with functional programming, which is a pretty neat concept, developers are saddled with the responsibility of figuring out this new approach.
- React is lean at its core, and is heavily dependent on other third-party components for effective use. This could also be a pain for developers since they may need to grasp a lot of new information just to get things done.
- While React’s documentation is good, Vue’s documentation is largely considered better. Vue is easier to learn compared to React.
What is React?
Vue vs. React Performance
- Vue is also easier to get accustomed to because it picked out the good parts of React and Angular, thus making it easier for developers from either of the two backgrounds to fit in perfectly.
- Vue documentation is also very well written and attempts to answer most (if not all) questions that could possibly come up.
- Read More: Building a Beautiful Animated News App with Vue.js and Vuetify.
- If you're thinking about building complex single-page applications over a long period of time.
- With React there's the option to use HTML and JSX, which makes it a better fit for enterprise-grade applications.
When should developers use Vue?
- If you prefer to use JSX!
- While React gives you the option to use standard HTML, it's more focused on JSX, which tracks updates and changes to HTML.
- That means there's no rewriting. You want to create larger apps.
1. What is Vue?
- You'll have to use third-party tools, but React gives much more scope for larger-scale app projects.
- If you want a fast solution for building UIs. Vue is extremely useful up to a certain point, but its over-reliance on HTML templates makes it a more laborious experience than React in the long term.
- (More on that later.). If you prefer to use HTML! Some developers favor HTML, which remains the de facto markup language for websites.
Round 8: Security
- You want to create smaller apps.
- Vue utilizes something called a ' store pattern ' for state management, which, unlike React, requires no third-party tools.
- React offers flexibility, a hot job market, and is as stable as Vue.
- Yet Vue is more structured, easier to figure out and set up, resulting in reduced project duration and overtime if CTOs introduce Vue.js as part of their developer stack.
- They both work really well with a headless CMS like headless WordPress or ButterCMS.
- Vue offers clarity resulting in predictions that the framework will eventually catch up to React and could become the first choice for developers.
- ButterCMS is the No.1 headless CMS for Vue and React because it's built for developers like you.
- Sign up for a FREE trial.
- Ben works as a data scientist and technology consultant helping companies design, develop custom software as well as make good decisions on their future tech strategies.
Round 10: Server-Side Rendering
- He enjoys writing and teaching others about all forms of technology wether it be about automation and machine learning models or CMSs.
- Get our latest articles, stay updated!
- Table of Contents.
- Introducing React and Vue.js.
- The Differences between React and VueDevelopment and Popularity .
- Development and Popularity .
- At the present time, front-end developers have three popular libraries for building user interfaces: React, Vue.js, and Angular.
- If you would like to know what's the ideal solution for you, keep reading!
- Precisely, React is a user interface library, Angular is a fully-featured framework, while Vue.js is a progressive framework.
- In this article, we'll show you a comparison between React and Vue.js to help you decide which one to choose for your next project in 2021.
9. Will Vue replace React?
Advantages and Disadvantages of Vue
- They are both based on familiar patterns, such as components, but they're not entirely identical. In the beginning, there was a debate between developers if they should choose Angular or React.
- However, recently, Vue.js was added as another library that front-end developers should consider when developing their apps due to its constant growth.
Round 5: Mobile
- React was initially developed for Facebook and first released in 2013, and it's still being developed and maintained by the tech giant.
- It's available under MIT license, a permissive open source license that many web tools are using.
- Vue was initially developed by Evan You, who was an ex-Google developer working on the Angular team.
- It's influenced by the most popular and modern libraries/frameworks such as Angular, React, and Ember.
Advantages and Disadvantages of React
- It's an open-source project maintained by the community.
- As stated by Evan You:. What if I could just extract the part that I really liked about Angular and build something really lightweight.
- Vue, or also Vue.js, is younger than React. It was released in 2014. Since then, Vue has been steadily growing in popularity and became competitive to React, which is an impressive thing since it doesn't have the resources of a company like Facebook.