- Before you begin
Unlike in previous versions of Windows, you’ll need to use the media creation tool to create an ISO file to install Windows 10.
- Make sure you have a license to install Windows 10, and then follow these steps:.
- On the Windows 10 download page, download the media creation tool by selecting Download tool now, then run the tool.
- In the tool, select Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO) for another PC > Next. Select the language, architecture, and edition of Windows, you need and select Next.
- Select ISO file > Next, and the tool will create your ISO file for you. To use the ISO file as a backup for your PC or on another PC, burn it onto a DVD.
The primary method of delivery for Windows 10will be through Windows Update.
- Microsoftalso provides ISO media, but if you are are already downloading Windows 10 through Windows Update, why not create your own? This is convenient for reinstall purposes especially if you need to perform arepair upgrade.
- Windows 10 already provides arecovery drive andreset pc functions, but these are limited by clean installs. Creating a ISO from the same PC you upgraded is also convenient if you have a second computer running a qualifying previous version of Windows you would like to upgrade, so it significantly saves on banwidth.
- Select ISO Image. Point to the Windows 10 ISO file. Check off Create a bootable disk using. Select GPT partitioning for EUFI firmware as the Partition scheme. Choose FAT32 NOT NTFS as the File system.
- Make sure your USB thumbdrive in the Device list box. Close when complete . Generally, when you want to create Windows 10 bootable USB from ISO image file, you are going to clean install Windows 10 or make a portable Windows 10 environment. No matter what you are going to do with the bootable USB, you need to get a stable and large USB drive in to go ahead.
- Microsoft Office products. If you just purchased a new device that includes Office 365, we recommend redeeming (installing) Office before upgrading to Windows 10. To redeem your copy of Office, please see Download and install Office 365 Home, Personal, or University on your PC. For more information, check How to upgrade to Windows 10 on new devices that include Office 365.
If you have Office 2010 or earlier and choose to perform a clean install of Windows 10, you will need to locate your Office product key. For tips on locating your product key, check Find your Office 2010 product key or Enter the product key for your Office 2007 program.