Quick Navigation:. A bootable USB stick is a USB drive that contains instructions for your computer's boot loader to load up various assets to run an operating system. There are two main functions of a bootable USB drive: one is for OS installation, and the other is for system recovery.
You may need a bootable USB in the following occasions:. Overwrite the existing OS or install the OS from scratch. Run backup or clone operations without loading your computer OS. Recover a failed system or lost data when the OS on the internal drive can’t load up.
When is bootable USB needed?
If you want to create an installation USB for Windows, get USB boot software free download here. However, you may need different USB drives for different Windows systems. Is there a kind of USB bootable software for all Windows systems?
AOMEI Backupper Standard is the best free USB bootable software that is designed for all Windows editions.
- Following are its main features:. ✭ The bootable USB created by AOMEI Backupper can be used on all Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP, both 32 bit and 64 bit.✭ You are allowed to create not only a bootable USB stick but also a bootable CD or DVD.✭ You can choose to create bootable media based on Linux kernel or Windows PE.
- After booting into a Linux boot disc, you are able to perform restore and clone operations only whereas a Windows PE boot disc allows you to start backup, restore and clone processes.✭ You can only use the troubleshooting and repair utilities offered by AOMEI Backupper after booting into AOMEI bootable media.
- It can’t help you reinstall Windows but restore system when the computer won’t boot.
- Wanna have a try? Get all-in-one bootable USB software free download below.
- Please note your USB drive will be formatted during the bootable media creation process, so backup files on USB flash drive if you still need them. Connect a USB drive to your computer.
- Launch AOMEI Backupper, click Tools and select Create Bootable Media.
- In the pop-up window, choose bootable disc type and click Next. It is recommended to choose Windows PE bootable disc so that you can access full functions of AOMEI Backupper.
You will receive a prompt to format your USB drive.
Click Yes to start creating bootable media if you have already backed up important files. Tips:● You may click Add Drivers in the lower-left corner to add custom drivers to the bootable media.
All-in-one bootable USB software for all Windows
This option is only available if you select Windows PE bootable disc in Step 2.● The created bootable disc supports both Legacy BIOS and UEFI boot modes.
- A bootable USB can only help to boot your computer in case of boot failure.
- To restore your computer to a normal state when serious problems happen, you need to create a system image beforehand.
- Just click Backup and select System Backup. Then follow the wizard to complete the process.
- It is recommended to save the system image on an external hard drive or a network location, so it won’t be damaged by any computer errors.
- If you don’t want to sacrifice a USB drive to be used as bootable media or you are worried about forgetting where you put the USB bootable stick, AOMEI Backupper Professional allows you to create a recovery environment that can be accessed without bootable media.
- Click Tools and select Recovery Environment to create a recovery environment with AOMEI Backupper.
- It will add the "AOMEI Backupper Recovery Environment" option to the system boot menu.
- This page offers you the best USB bootable software free download for all Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP.
- With a bootable USB at hand, you can repair your computer easily in case of system crash. What’s more pleasing, AOMEI Backupper enables you to boot into recovery environment without bootable media, so you don’t need to sacrifice a USB flash drive.
- If you want to create a USB boot drive for all Windows Server operating systems like Windows Server 2019/2016/2012, you may choose AOMEI Backupper Server.
- Don’t hesitate to give it a shot! PAGE CONTENT:Download the Best USB Bootable SoftwareTwo Ways to Create a Bootable USBFirst and Foremost - Create a Portable Windows USB DiskGuide - Create a WinPE-based USB Disk.
- EaseUS Todo Backup is recommended here as the best USB bootable software, plus an essential bootable USB creation tool for personal users and companies.
- It's the all-in-one software that integrates both bootable USB and ISO images together, which facilitates users to create portable Windows 11/10/8/7 that greatly reduce worry in case of an unexpected system failure, crash, and similar disasters that cause a complete shutdown.
- With EaseUS Windows backup software, customers can gain the following benefits:.
Backup and recovery for disk/partition, data, files, folders, operating system, mail, exchange, etc. Disk/partition clone, OS migration to HDD/SSD.
Transfer system to dissimilar hardware.
Two Ways to Create a Bootable USB
Create USB portable Windows. Create Linux/WinPE-based bootable USB stick. A great combination of creating a bootable Windows USB drive and a bootable backup drive.
- An official, lightweight, easy-to-use and effective bootable USB creation tool that allows even less experienced users to have a try.
- Automatically detect the USB drive and help format the drive to the required FAT32 file system.
- With the help of the EaseUS Windows backup software, you are able to create a bootable USB drive in two ways.
- Easily create a portable Windows USB that contains system and user files. Simply create a WinPE-based bootable USB stick that can only boot into EaseUS Todo Backup.
- Follow the step-by-step guide below, and make your own bootable USB drive with the amazing bootable USB creator.
- Creating a portable USB is your very first choice. All you need to do is download the useful system cloning tool and clone the operating system to your portable device.
- During the system cloning process, you can create a portable USB drive.
- You can boot Windows from the USB drive anytime if you're trying to restore a crashed system even the computer did not install EaseUS Todo Backup software.
- Check how much disk space is used for the system C drive.
- Let's assume 40GB. Then prepare a qualified USB drive, of which the disk capacity must be larger than 40GB.
- Do you use an empty new USB drive or an old one?
- Make sure that all the important data has been safely transferred because the system clone will overwrite data on it completely.
- Correctly connect the USB drive to your machine and make sure that Windows has detected it and assigned a drive letter to it. Follow the overall process to create a portable Windows USB drive and boot from it:.
Launch EaseUS Todo Backup. Expand the Tools menu and click "System Clone". On the "System clone" window, the software will choose the system partition and boot partition by default.
Just Choose the USB drive as the destination disk. Click on "Advanced options" and then "Create a portable windows USB Drive".
How to use USB bootable software to create a recovery USB?
Click "OK" and then "Next". You can preview or adjust the disk layout on the destination drive. If there is no problem, click "Proceed" and the software will start immediately cloning the default system partitions of your desktop/laptop to the USB drive.
- After the cloning process is over, you can safely plug the USB drive out.
- Boot from the USB drive. Connect your portable USB to the computer. Restart the computer and press "Del" to enter BIOS. Set the PC to boot from the portable USB by changing the boot order in BIOS under the "Boot" tab.
- Save changes and you'll see your system booting up from the USB drive. If you don't want to clone your system to the external device, just want to export the data on the computer, you are advised to create an emergency disk with EaseUS Todo Backup.
- By this means, you are only allowed to boot into EaseUS Todo Backup even when your computer or laptop cannot boot as usual.
- Once you boot into this backup software, you can back up data to an external device or copy files without Windows.
- Let's see how to create this WinPE disk. Prepare a USB drive that can be written and read.
- Launch and install EaseUS Todo Backup on the Computer B. Open the tool and click Tools - Create Emergency Disk. Select "Create WinPE emergency disk". Select a bootable media type: here we choose USB drive. Click Proceed to create a bootable disk. Windows installation is usually performed using a DVD.
- However, there are occasions where you may be compelled to use a bootable USB flash drive to install Windows on your PC.
- This especially happens when your hard disk drive is corrupted or you cannot get your hands on a DVD.
- In that case, you’ll have to boot your PC using a USB disk.
- In our earlier article, we have explained how to create bootable USB drive on Windows 8 and in this article let us explain how to create a bootable ISO USB disk for Windows 10.
- The following topics are covered in this article:. What is ISO file or disc image?
- Requirements for bootable USB. Downloading Windows 10 disk image file. Formatting USB disk drive. Creating bootable USB flash drive with Rufus.
- Booting Windows 10 with USB. ISO 9660 file system is shortly referred as ISO files and have an extension of “.iso”.
- ISO files are also called as disk image files, generally created from a CD or DVD using disk imaging applications.
- For example, you can use 7-Zip software to create ISO image file and also extract the content from the archived ISO file.
- In Windows context, an ISO image is a collection of Windows installation files from the installation CD or DVD.
- In case if you don’t have the original installation CD or DVD, you can use the Windows 10 ISO disk image file to create bootable USB flash drive.
- This bootable USB then helps to start Windows 10 on your PC.
- Ensure to have the followings before you try to create a bootable USB drive. You’ll require a flash drive of at least 8 GB size. Check you have sufficient storage space on your PC to download and create IOS image file. Check your Windows 10 installation is 64 or 32 bit.
- Windows system language. Correct version of Windows 10. Keep your product license key handy.
- With Windows 10, you don’t need to use third party software for creating ISO disk image files. Microsoft provides free ISO disk image file for Windows 10 which you can use as a starting point.
- Go to Windows 10 download page and download the Windows media creation tool.
- Downloading Windows Media Creation Tool. This is an independent executable file doesn’t need installation, you can simply run the tool and create the ISO image.
- Double click on the .exe file and follow the below steps. Accept the terms and conditions and on the next step choose “Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file) for another PC” option and click “Next” button.
- Creating Installation USB. The tool will capture the language, Windows edition and architecture details from your Windows installation.
- You can disable the checkbox “Use the recommended options for this PC” and modify these details.
- Click on the “Next” button. Choosing System Details. Here you will see two options – USB flash drive and ISO file. You can directly choose the USB flash drive and create a bootable USB drive.
- Otherwise choose “ISO file” option to download the ISO file to your local computer.
In this article, we explain by choosing “ISO file” option and click on the “Next” button.
Download the Best USB Bootable Software
Choose the folder to download the ISO file. It will take long time for the generation of ISO file and you can see the progress anytime. Viewing ISO File Download Progress. After completion of the process, you will see an option to burn a DVD from the downloaded ISO file. But you don’t need a DVD for creating bootable USB drive, hence click on “Finish” to close the window.
How to boot into recovery environment without bootable media?
Finally, your USB drive and the ISO image file are ready. You’ll need to make your Flash drive bootable using third-party software.