Follow these steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10.
Before you download the tool make sure you have:.
Before you download the tool make sure you have:.
An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
If you have Office 2010 or earlier and choose to perform a clean install of Windows 10, you will need to locate your Office product key.
For tips on locating your product key, check Find your Office 2010 product key or Enter the product key for your Office 2007 program.
Using the tool to create installation media:.
Select which media you want to use: USB flash drive. Attach a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space.
Windows Hello, passwords goodbye
Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.ISO file. Save an ISO file to your PC, which you can use to create a DVD. After the file is downloaded, you can go to location where the file is saved, or select Open DVD burner, and follow the instructions to burn the file to a DVD.
Always up to date
For more info about using an ISO file, see Additional methods for using the ISO file to install Windows 10 section below. USB flash drive. Attach a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space.
Always on defense
Any content on the flash drive will be deleted. Save an ISO file to your PC, which you can use to create a DVD. After the file is downloaded, you can go to location where the file is saved, or select Open DVD burner, and follow the instructions to burn the file to a DVD.
For more info about using an ISO file, see Additional methods for using the ISO file to install Windows 10 section below. After the installation media is created, follow the steps below to use it.
Pick up where you left off
After completing the steps to install Windows 10, please check that you have all the necessary device drivers installed.
Secure and easy photo sharing
To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.
Safer surfing all day long
You may also wish to visit your device manufacturer’s support site for any additional drivers that may be needed. Note: Drivers for Surface devices may be found on the Download drivers and firmware for Surface page.
Your PC and phone, together
You can try using the ISO instead:. Create a bootable copy on a blank DVD or USB thumb drive. After you have downloaded the Windows 10 ISO, you need prepare it, this is especially important for Windows 7 users.
Most popular PC gaming platform on the planet
After downloading the .ISO file, right click it and click Burn disc image. Insert a blank DVD.
Windows 8/8.1 users can mount the .ISO file and start the upgrade automatically. Learn more here. If you are creating a bootable USB thumb drive, make sure the thumb drive is first formatted as FAT32.
Connect the thumb drive. Right click thumbdrive. Make sure FAT32 is selected as the file system. For UEFI based systems. If your computer is UEFI based, these are normally systems that come pre-loaded with Windows 8 or later, you will need to prepare the ISO file for such a configuration or you will receive an error message during setup.
The thumbdrive needs to be formatted as FAT32 and use the GPT partitioning scheme. To do this, you need to use Rufus, a small tool you can download for free.
Rufus - credit: Pete Batard/Akeo. After you have installed Rufus:. Select ISO Image. Point to the Windows 10 ISO file. Check off Create a bootable disk using.
Select GPT partitioning for EUFI firmware as the Partition scheme. Choose FAT32 NOT NTFS as the File system. Make sure your USB thumbdrive in the Device list box.
Make the most of your Microsoft 365 subscription
Close when complete . Make sure you have:. An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
Bring your ideas to life
Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download. A blank USB flash drive with at least 5 GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media.
Organize your time
We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted. When burning a DVD from an ISO file, if you are told the disc image file is too large you will need to use Dual Layer (DL) DVD Media.
Accomplish more together
Check these things on the PC where you want to install Windows 10:. 64-bit or 32-bit processor (CPU). You’ll create either the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Windows 10 that’s appropriate for your CPU.
Protect what’s important
To check this on your PC, go to PC info in PC settings or System in Control Panel, and look for System type. System requirements. See the system requirements before installing Windows 10.
Find the right fit for your needs
Find the computer that's best for you
See what's new from Surface
Explore all Windows 10 computers
Language in Windows. You'll need to choose the same language when you install Windows 10. To see what language you're currently using, go to Time and language in PC settings or Region in Control Panel.
Fast, free shipping
Edition of Windows. You should also choose the same edition of Windows.
To check what edition you're currently running, go to PC info in PC settings or System in Control Panel, and look for Windows edition.
Instant software downloads
Windows 10 Enterprise isn’t available here.
Questions? We've got answers.
Please see the Volume Licensing Service Center for more information.
- This is a full version of Windows 10. We recommend you back up your files before installing. Updates are automatically enabled during the support period—additional storage and/or hardware requirements apply for updates over time. Apps and features may vary by market. Windows Media Center is not supported. To check for compatibility, support period and other important information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and Windows 10 Specifications.
-  For the supported lifetime of the device. Internet access fees may apply. Additional storage and/or hardware requirements may apply for updates over time. See Windows 10 Specifications for more details.
-  Based on average time comparison between typing a password and detecting a face or fingerprint in order to successfully authenticate a user.
-  Windows Hello requires specialized hardware, including fingerprint reader, illuminated IR sensor, or other biometric sensors and capable devices.
-  Microsoft Defender version 4.12 and 4.18 scored 100% detection for protection against 0-day malware attacks, inclusive of web and email threats (Real-World Testing) by AV-Test, July and August, 2018.
-  Security Providers page can be found in the Settings section of the Windows Security App.
-  Hardware dependent.
-  Secure storage, web and mobile access, and sharing requires all devices to be synced with OneDrive. Free OneDrive accounts include 5 GB of total storage, or room for about 2,000 photos. Internet access required, fees may apply.
-  Users must link their mobile phone to their PC through ‘Link to Windows’ on their mobile phone where available, or through ‘Your Phone app’ on their PC. Your Phone app comes preinstalled on PCs with the Windows 10 October 2018 Update or later and is downloadable for Windows 10 April 2018 Update or later versions. Requires a Microsoft Account and an Android 7.0+ phone. Calls require a minimum PC software version of Windows 10 May 2019 update or higher. Requires Windows 10 PC supporting Bluetooth radio.
-  PC hardware requirements may vary for games on Windows 10. DirectX Raytracing available with supported games, graphics chips, and requires Windows 10 April Update (or newer).
-  Files may be made available for offline use. Otherwise internet is required. Fees may apply. Files Restore requires a Microsoft 365 subscription (sold separately). OneDrive files are restored to the state they were in before the attack occurred. File versions created up to 30 days in the past can be restored at any time for any reason. Assumes photos are 4 MB JPGs and documents are 0.8 MB Office files.
-  Extended return offer period available with Surface devices purchased from Microsoft Store online in select markets. Return process must be started within 60 days after customer received the device. Not available for purchases by reseller customers. Extended return offer period limited to 5 device returns total per eligible customer. Excludes Surface Hub. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Microsoft reserves the right to modify or discontinue offers at any time. Other exclusions and limits may apply. Microsoft Store return policy applies to extended returns. See applicable Microsoft Terms of Sale for more information.
1 GB RAM for 32-bit; 2 GB for 64-bit
Required hard disk space
Required video card
800 x 600 screen resolution or higher. DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM driver.
Other system requirements
Microsoft account required for some features. Watching DVDs requires separate playback software.
Additional system requirements
You must accept the enclosed License Terms, also at Microsoft License Terms.
Activation required • Single license • 32- and 64-bits on USB 3.0 media included