I want to upgrade my windows 10 to windows 11, I understand I can do so for free. But that requires me to install win 11 over win 10 and it won't let me.
My win 10 drive has a MBR so I can't activate UEFI mode and secure boot.
- I tried converting the MBR to a GPT but it doesn't work.
- And I really want to do a clean install anyway as win 10 has been giving me issues the last few months.
- So my question is can I do a clean install of win 11 while using the free upgrade offer? And if so, how do I do that? Please be sure to follow me on Twitter @adacosta for the latest tips, tricks and updates in the world of Windows 10.
- Technical Level : Intermediate Summary If you have installed a recent release of Windows in the past 5 years, you pretty much know what it will be like to install Windows 10.
In this article, we take a look at performing a clean install.
- This includes starting a clean install from within a running version of Windows or a hard disk/SSD with no previous Windows installations. Perform a clean install by booting from install media (DVD or USB thumb drive).
- Perform a clean install using Reset in Windows 10 or Windows 10 Refresh Tools (Start Fresh). Perform a clean install from within a running version of Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10.
- Previously, Windows 7, Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1 users needed to have either of those versions of Windows installed and activated in order to qualify for the free upgrade offer.
- For users who needed to perform a clean install of Windows 10 from the outset, it was a two step process of first validating the machine through the upgrade routine, ensure the Windows 10 Upgrade was activated, then proceed to perform a Reset. Starting with versions Windows 10 1511 or later, users no longer have to go through this process.
- What is the Digital Entitlement or Digital License? When you upgrade from a previous version of Windows, what happens is the hardware, (your PC), will get a digital license. This is a unique signature of the computer which is stored on Microsoft Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics product key.
Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. The only exception where this applies is dependent on the license you upgraded from. If you change your motherboard and originally you upgraded from a Windows 7 OEM or Windows 8 OEM license, then your Digital Entitlement will be invalidated.
You will need to purchase a new full version license.
- So, there is no need to know or get a product key, if you need to reinstall Windows 10, you can use your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key or use the reset function in Windows 10.
- Learn more: How to install and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key.
- Perform a Clean Install on an Empty Hard Disk/SSD or Reinstall by Booting from Install Media (DVD or USB Thumb Drive) .
Once you have your Windows 10 installation media ready, all you need to do is boot from the disc or USB thumb drive to begin setup.
Your current edition of Windows Windows 10 edition Windows 7 Starter
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows 8.1 with Bing
Windows 8 Pro
Windows 8.1 Pro
Windows 8/8.1 Professional with Media Center
Windows 8/8.1 Single Language
Windows 8 Single Language with Bing
Windows 10 Home
Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Windows 8/8.1 Chinese Language Edition
Windows 8 Chinese Language Edition with Bing
Windows 10 Home China
- If you don't have install media, see instructions: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files. Review the following guide for instructions and details about configuring your BIOS or UEFI boot settings for DVD, CD, USB or SD Card. Once your computer is set to boot from the DVD, you should see this option. If you are installing from a retail Windows 10 USB thumb drive, you will be asked to select either 32 or 64 bit Windows 10. Learn more here.
- If you have a Windows 10 product key, you can proceed to enter it.
Setup will also prompt you to select the edition you have a license for - Home or Pro. Please make sure you choose the right edition. If you choose the wrong edition, your only option will be to perform a clean install again. The copy of Windows 10 you download and upgrade from will correspond with the edition of Windows you have installed, if it does not, this is why you might be experiencing problems activating:.
Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core should install Windows 10 Home .