The way forward
Recovery USB is a USB version of system repair disc in Windows, which contains several recovery tools. You can use them to repair or troubleshoot the unbootable computer, restore your computer to factory settings, or directly install Windows on it.
And you can get it by the following methods:. Create a Windows 10 recovery disk with the Recovery Drive feature. Use installation disc comes along with your computer. Usually, it's a CD/DVD disc. Download Media Creation tool and create one with it.
Well then, assuming you already have a bootable USB, how to restore Windows 10 or 11 from USB it?
How to create bootable USB of Windows 11 with Media Creation Tool
Please prepare a USB drive with 16GB at least, otherwise this operation may fail because of insufficient disk space and throw you an error message, saying, "we can't create the recovery drive". And these steps also apply to Windows 11.
Learn more below. Tips:• Restoring from Recovery from a drive option is a process to clean install Windows 10, so it will remove all your files, even the entire disk.
Please backup your important files in advance, whether it is pictures, documents, audios, or videos, otherwise your data will go forever.• If you want to reinstall Windows without losing data, please try the following methods.
Connect the USB drive to your computer, and make sure it can be detected. Then, type Create a recovery drive in the search box and select it from the top result. Check the back up system files to the recovery drive option and hit Next.
- If not, you will not see Reset this PC and Recover from a drive in the system recovery environment.
- Note: The Back up system files to the recovery drive gives you a chance to perform Windows 10 install when you cannot troubleshoot your computer with other recovery tools, such as, System Restore, Startup Repair, Command Prompt, etc.
- Select USB flash drive and hit Next. Click Create to start Windows 10 recovery USB creation.
Here you will use the "System Restore" feature in the recovery environment to recover Windows 10, and It will keep all your files at the point you make a system restore point.
- This is also true for Windows 11.
- Boot from Windows 10 repair disk created earlier In the initial page, select keyboard layout and other preferences. In the Choose an option window, select Troubleshoot and then Recover from a drive.
Select Just remove my files or Clean the drive fully, depending on what you want to keep.
- Click Recover to recover from a drive. It will take a while to finish this process and your PC will restart automatically.
- After that, you just need to set up your Windows 10 with the on-screen instructions.
- Boot from the Windows 10 recovery USB. In the Troubleshoot page, select Advanced options and then System Restore.
- In the Restore system files and settings window, click Next. Select a restore point to restore Windows 10 to an earlier working date and click Next.
- Confirm the info and click Finish to recover Windows 10. The "Recovery Drive" feature is very useful if you created one when your computer works well.
- You can use it to repair or reinstall Windows 10 with the above steps.
But it still has some limitations. The biggest one is that you can only use it on the current computer where you created it. For example, you cannot use a Windows 10 32-bit recovery drive to repair Windows 10 64-bit.
Create bootable Windows 11 installation USB drive
In this case, you can try Method 2. It breaks this limitation and allows you to create Windows 10 recovery USB for another PC. Except for Recovery Drive, you still can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 system repair USB and restore Windows 10 without losing files.
Then, try the following steps:. Download Windows 10 Media Creation tool from Microsoft and run it with administrator priority. Then, it will start to check the hard drive of your computer and get a few things ready. After that, you will be asked to read all the license terms and click Accept to agree with it.
In the "What do you want to do?" page, select Create installation media for another PC to create a bootable USB drive and click Next.
and architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) for Windows 10. Select USB flash drive (at least 8GB required) and click Next.
It will start to create Windows 10 reinstall USB, you just need to wait untill the process completes. Connect the installation USB drive to your computer and boot from it.
In the initial Windows Setup window, select language, editions and other preferences. Then, click Next until you see Repair your computer option, select it.
Need to create Windows 7 recovery USB
Note: If your computer is brand-new, you can still clean install Windows 10 from USB by clicking Install Now option. Then, select Custom installation type and follow on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.